Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Question about E480 semi-dead Motherboard

Edge / E-Series
DLinks1292

Question about E480 semi-dead Motherboard

#1 Post by DLinks1292 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:16 am

Greetings! I have a "semi-dead" E490 Motherboard with i5-8250U, what I meant by "semi-death" is:
  • cannot charge if Internal battery plugged in, but using battery the laptop is normal without a hitch
  • If battery removed, it can power on via USB-C but it send very low current, hence the CPU clock down and make the system unstable
  • I tried with official ThinkPad 65w Type-c charger as well 3rd party one, including MacBook Pro 100W USB-C charger, nothing changes
  • Already tried changing USB-C Port, nothing changed
Since is "Semi-Dead", I would like to convert it to a desktop system, since I got new motherboard and sell the whole unit, anyone know how to trick the charging system for sending 20V 3A or more? or there's any hacks I can use? like tricking the battery system using dummy battery, or anyone here kind enough to send me E490 schematics or at least which IC I need to replace? any help will be very appreciated! (And sorry for my bad English)
T530 AKA The BonkPad Enchanced: i7-3720QM, 8GB dual Channel RAM, 512GB SSD (Windows 10) + 256GB SSD (Linux Mint XFCE) via UltraBay, Nvidia Quadro NVS 5400M.[/color][/b]
Past device: X61T | X230 | | L530 | T420 | W520 | RIP my lovely T400 AKA The original BonkPad