Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad X1 Carbon: Audio jack abruptly stops working (but works temporarily after re-start)

X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1-Extreme (X1Ex) series and later, specific matters only
brianli888

Thinkpad X1 Carbon: Audio jack abruptly stops working (but works temporarily after re-start)

#1 Post by brianli888 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Hello,

Subject is pretty self-explanatory. The audio jack works with my earbuds whenever I start up the computer, but after some undefined amount of time, it will abruptly stop working. I wonder if some specific action is triggering it to lose the audio jack (like plugging in a monitor) but I haven't found a trend yet. Also, the sound will play out of the speakers instead even though earbuds are plugged in.

In terms of diagnosis, I've tried several other earbuds (have same problem) and my own earbuds work on my phone, so I know that isn't the issue. Haven't done things like uninstalling Realtek Driver since re-installing requires restarting, which (temporarily) fixes the problem anyway.

One thing I think is worth noting: Even when I restart and the computer detects my earbuds, they do NOT show up in the list of output devices. So they're being "detected" without being "fully detected" I guess? Unfortunately, that means when the jack stops working, I don't actually see a difference in the status of the output devices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

dr_st

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon: Audio jack abruptly stops working (but works temporarily after re-start)

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:25 am

Welcome to the forum. :)

Try updating the HD Audio Driver.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU