Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen (20BT) WWAN problems

X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1-Extreme (X1Ex) series and later, specific matters only
Gurdjieffson

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen (20BT) WWAN problems

#1 Post by Gurdjieffson » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:52 am

I am writing from Poland, having problems with my X1 Carbon 3rd Gen (20BT), which I bought as an off-leased device. Here are full specs (from Polish seller, but it seems to be obvious).
Problem: I cannot see and choose WWAN from network devices (Windows 10 Pro 64bit). It used to work, so I am sure that modem is physically installed.
Drivers are OK, I have reinstalled fresh ones for Sierra Wireless EM7345 from Lenovo's support.
Could it be that modem itself or main board are somehow damaged? If you do not have any software based solution, I will claim warranty from the Seller.

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd Gen (20BT) WWAN problems

#2 Post by w0qj » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Just took at our own X1C3 (X1 Carbon 3rd Gen) which is a (20BS) series, also came pre-installed with WWAN from ThinkPad/Lenovo.

1. Suggest you go to [Device_Manager]>>[Network_Adapters] and look for [Ericsson_N5321_gw] assuming that it's an OEM WWAN as supplied by ThinkPad/Lenovo.

Right-click [Ericsson_N5321_gw]>>[Update_Driver] to see if it helps.

2. Alternatively, you can install/run [Lenovo_Vantage] and update the driver for [Ericsson_N5321_gw] via ThinkPad/Lenovo.

3. ***If you *do*not* see [Ericsson_N5321_gw] in your [Device_Manager], suggest you return your unit back to your reseller ASAP;
there might be something wrong with the hardware.

4. Just curious, did your X1C3 (X1 Carbon 3rd Gen) came preinstalled with OEM Windows 10 (along with all ThinkPad-specific drivers),
or did your X1C3 came preinstalled with WIndows 8, which was then upgraded to Windows 10?

Good luck!
Daily Driver: X1 Extreme 1st Gen (X1E1): i7 | 16GB | 1TB | IPS
Current Thinkpads: X1E1 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X250 | X230 | T410
Retired Thinkpads: T42 | 560 (circa 1996)
~~IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !

Gurdjieffson

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd Gen (20BT) WWAN problems

#3 Post by Gurdjieffson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05 am

Thank you @w0qj as you suggested, this seems to be hardware issue, so after checking all drivers I simply asked the Seller to perform warranty reparations.
They have 14 days according to the law, so I am waiting :)