Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen won't turn on while battery is connected

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
z.w.chen

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen won't turn on while battery is connected

#1 Post by z.w.chen » Sat May 08, 2021 9:42 am

Hi,

I've just got 2nd hand unit Core-i7 5600U 256GB SSD. It seemed work almost fine after Win 10 pro clean installed.

Weird thing is it won't turn on if internal battery is connected, while it does if battery is disconnected.

When REBOOT, it works fine with power cable and battery is connected. But, once unit is SHUT DOWN, it won't turn on, react at all when I push power button. No LED flash, blink nor no Lenovo logo on the display, no FAN, no beep.

But, if I disconnect internal battery, every thing works fine, needless to say, Power cable is connected. Windows runs normally, except CPU speed shows 0.78GHz while full speed is 2.6GHz or even higher when task is heavy.

Strange thing is that internal battery is working. If I reconnect battery while Windows is working, after turning on without battery, battery indicator shows up on task bar, and indicates battery is re-charging. And, after battery is charged to certain percentage, unit works normally even I disconnect power cable. Battery lasts at least 4 hours. During this 4 hours, I can reboot normally. But, once unit is turned off, it dies.

I've tried almost every things in many forum, such as disconnect power cable and discharge, pressing power button for 10 sec., 30 sec., 60 sec., reset using pin to push reset button hole on the bottom. BIOS is updated to the latest version, and reset to default setting, Windows 10 clean installed with no warning on device driver. All test (by pressing F10 button while boot up) is done, and result is perfect.

I'd like some X1 enthgiast give some advice to fix the problem or some lead to solve problem. Otherwise only thing I can do further is to replace internal battery, but I think it is quite gambling.

Regards,

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd Gen won't turn on while battery is connected

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Sat May 08, 2021 1:57 pm

hello mr. chen, welcome to the forum.. :)

your issue with the X1C3 is a bit strange..
may i ask if you have run any of the diagnostics lenovo provides for that thinkpad..? that is the first thing that i would do in similar circumstances with my X1C3..

if you do so it might point to an issue on the system board OR in the battery's firmware..
i hope this is helpful to you..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

z.w.chen

#3 Post by z.w.chen » Sun May 09, 2021 6:39 am

Hi, Mr. BillMorrow, Thanks for your reply.

I will execute the diag below. Is this the one you suggested ? Please tell me if you know other way or tips might help. However, now I'm carrying out Battery Gauge Reset from Lenovo Vantage application.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... iagnostics

One more strange behavior, was after full battery charge and discharge to 10%, I successfully turned on 2 times after 2 normal shutting down last night. This progress really made me happy then, but, it became monolith this morning again.

I feel present symptoms looks like PC is waiting for minimum level of recharging when battery is completely discharged, like after long term stowage without using. In such case, usually we can turn on after 10-30min. recharge even battery gauges still shows empty. But I can not for the situation being, even I attempt to recharge for a night.

Thanks for your assistance.

z.w.chen

#4 Post by z.w.chen » Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am

Hi, Mr. BillMorrow, I'd like to share present situation with you. As a result, situation seems to be solved, and device can boot up after shutting down for more than 5 times. (with battery full charged, and AC unplugged.)

First, I completed battery gauges reset. Battery capacity become smaller than before (prev. 44.49Wh aft 43.54Wh), but I don't care if it solve fundamental problem. Second, I carried out Hard Ware diag. as you suggested. I did both Simple Scan and Custom Scan, and both scan doesn't detect any hardware problem.

I know diag program cannot sense all problem due to its limitation, but so far, it work fine even it might be a tentative fix. I just cross my finger that it can boot up tomorrow again same I've just seen now. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

z.w.chen

#5 Post by z.w.chen » Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 pm

Hi, Mr. BillMorrow, Good morning to you,

My x1c3 goes into a long sleep again. Any idea to wake him up? Please Help!

Best

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by w0qj » Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 am

To be honest, perhaps it's time to take in your X1 Carbon 3rd Gen into repair depot for inspection...

Computer would not turn on can be due to a lot of different reasons...
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X250 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)
~~IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !

z.w.chen

#7 Post by z.w.chen » Tue May 11, 2021 10:47 am

Hi, w0qj. Thanks for your reply.

I completely agree with our idea if target is to use this, and you have a dozen of computer repair shop offer competitive price with good and instant service in your place.

Actually, I almost have made decision to get replace battery to replace, but want to struggle for another while to find the actual cause which cause this strange symptom and behavior like this.

Thanks.

z.w.chen

#8 Post by z.w.chen » Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 am

Eureca! It works! :D :D

I found there is one Tips in some where, but it seems it is required to fix situation. As many peoples know, we have to set "Disable Build-in Battery", before start maintenance, especially for battery replacement. But, before we turn on, we need to power button for certain time and push reset switch (micro switch assessible from pin hole. Important thinks is that we need to leave device as it is without battery connected and power cable from AC adaptor, but I left it only for a min. So, to make sure it effect properly, I did it for an hour, the return everything as it should be. As result, machine can boot up properly from shutting down or sleep status.

Thanks for your assistance and concern on this. I might have ordered one replace battery and wasting money, if no support from you two.

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by w0qj » Fri May 14, 2021 1:32 pm

Thank you for your sharing, and it's GOOD to hear that things have worked out for you!
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X250 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)
~~IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !

z.w.chen

#10 Post by z.w.chen » Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Thanks for your kind concern.