Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 1 motherboard

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
ramadap

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 1 motherboard

#1 Post by ramadap » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:39 pm

I had my original motherboard replaced under warranty. The laptop would not turn on.

Lenovo service was excellent, and quickly replaced the motherboard.

However... 64b (2x32GB DIMMS) don't seem to be supported any longer. I get memory errors and windows crashes. Bios memory tests fail. It was rock solid before the MB replacement. I had to remove one of the simms to continue working. Also I have a 230W Lenovo docking station and although a logitech webcam used to work when attached to the dock it no longer does with the new MB. Only if I connect it directly to the laptop. Everything esle connected to the dock seems to work. My guess is that the new MB is either an older version than the one I had or a newer one with these kind of bugs/features. X1 gen1 was never announced to support 64GB, but as I said it worked faultlessly for several years.

Any ideas? Should I just call lenovo service again? I'm concerned they say the system does not suppoort 64GB of ram, which I need for my workload.

Thanks for any comments.
Luis