Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SSD replacement 34xx Thinkpad X1 1st Gen

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
lmcm

SSD replacement 34xx Thinkpad X1 1st Gen

#1 Post by lmcm » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:18 am

Hi all,

Massive problem here the space available on my X1 with SSD 128Gb.
I seriously need a replacement.

Any experiences or comments?
Is lenovo providing a replacementm any part number?
Can I replace it on my own with a SSD ordered from another website (not lenovo) like Sandisk or similar?
I read some issues with the connector used by the SSD so I am a little bit confused.
I also found information about adapters being sold at Ebay, but I am not sure if the would work, if they fit, if the are really needed....

Any comment will be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance to everyone
Luis

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: SSD replacement 34xx Thinkpad X1 1st Gen

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:01 am

There are only 128GB and 256GB SSDs available for X1 Carbon 1st-Gen.
The problem with these is, that the SSD-connector is laptop-specific for ONLY X1 Carbon 1st-Gen/Gen1 from 2013.
SSDs from newer X1 Carbon (Gen2, Gen3 etc.) will NOT fit.

There are also adapters available, in which you can put an "ordinary" mSATA SSD, such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261773739647
However, the adapter with mSATA is ~5mm high, it would be a very tight fit IF even possible.
The "original SSD" is only ~3mm high.

The Chinese "invented" a DIY adapter/mSATA which is supposedly less high and should fit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221965487481
Don't know if anyone has experience with one of those.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

rsa4046

#3 Post by rsa4046 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:04 pm

What follows is a shortened version of a How To I wrote for this issue on Lenovo's website. I used the following to upgrade the existing proprietary 180GB SSD of a "first generation" X1 Carbon (purchased 2/2012) to a mSATA 512 GB SSD. Total hardware costs were about $220, as follows:
  • 1. Crucial mSATA SSD 512GB CT512M550SSD3 (still available from some vendors such as Newegg; other, newer mSATA SSD cards may also work, but check the form factor, length and thickness of the card), about $200.
    2. mSATA SSD to 26 Pin Adapter SD5SG2 card, about $15 (part # MS-LEN-26PX1 from Micro SATA Cables http://www.microsatacables.com/msata-ss ... -len-26px1).
The following also assumes you are using a current version of Windows. Before starting, I made an image of the complete existing SSD (saved to an external USB drive) and a windows bootable DVD, both using Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com). You will need both the drive image and the bootable DVD to restore your data. Test these to make sure they are valid before starting. These steps are detailed in the original version of the How To (see this link).
1. With all cables disconnected and the laptop powered off and lid closed, flip the laptop over, and carefully remove the 6 Philips head screws from the back. There are two Lenovo documents that detail these next few steps, available at https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/documents/pd025208 and https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd025211 (The documents are in English, but I did this work in Germany, hence the German “de” prefix in the web address).
2. Flip the unit right side up, open the lid, and fold it essentially flat. Place a clean paper towel over the screen for protection; you will be placing the keyboard on top of this surface.
3. With the screws removed (step 1), the keyboard is only held in place by internal clips and a ribbon cable. The keyboard is removed by carefully inserting a thin shim into the seam when it joins the case to open these clips. An old credit card or piece of stiff plastic works well here. Work your way around all sides of the case, carefully separating the keyboard.
4. Once all the clips have been released, carefully flip the keyboard and rest it atop the screen’s protected surface. There is no need to detach the ribbon cable; but it is fragile, so be sure not to twist or deform this connection during this step. At this point the unit will look something like this Fig. 1.
5. Fig. 2A shows the existing SSD still intact. There is a 3-wire cable (fingerprint reader?, secured by a plastic tab) that you will need to move aside to gain access to the single mounting screw that secures the SSD to the motherboard. Carefully pry the plastic tab clip open slightly and pull the wires aside – they are also fragile, so take your time. Once the cable is out of the way you can remove the mounting screw.
6. With the mounting screw removed, the SSD can be removed by carefully sliding it out of the bus slot, gently wiggling slightly side-to-side if necessary. Your view should now be similar to Fig. 2B. Once the old SSD is free, set it aside for safe keeping, using the anti-static container of the new unit if available.
7. Two small screws attach the SSD to the mSATA X1 Carbon adapter board: remove them. Then attach the adapter in the position of the old SSD, carefully sliding it into the bus slot. Secure with the mounting screw. Your work should now look like Fig. 3.
8. Fit the new SSD securely into the adapter bus (Fig. 4A), and secure with the two small screws removed previously. Your finished work should now look like Fig. 4B.
9. Fig. 5: restore the position of 3-wire cable and secure with plastic tab as before. You’re now more than halfway complete. You can now reverse previous steps of keyboard removal: carefully flip the keyboard back into position, taking care not to deform the ribbon cable, clip the keyboard back into position, and reattach fasteners to back of laptop.
10. With the keyboard back in place, reattach AC power and DVD drive. The remaining steps describing restoration of the data and which partitions to use is included in the original How To.

Post back if you need more help :D .

Edit added: Also, in answer to a previous question: Lenovo does supply replacement SSDs that will work without the adapter card, but these are expensive (about $1000 for a 240GB-256 GB SSD), the maximum size is 256 GB (IIRC) with limited availability. The adapter card + mSATA SSD is cheaper and faster :wink: .

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:56 pm

I do not quite agree with you.
I already performed that very mod you describe here, with the very same adapter and an mSATA SSD (Sandisk X300 256GB).
The combination adapter/mSATA is too thick to properly place the keyboard back on, without bending it or creating too much pressure on the KB-bottom.
Can you please give me EXACT measurements in mm of the installed highest points of that combo.
(see also my first post).

rsa4046

#5 Post by rsa4046 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:12 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:I do not quite agree with you.
I already performed that very mod you describe here, with the very same adapter and an mSATA SSD (Sandisk X300 256GB).
The combination adapter/mSATA is too thick to properly place the keyboard back on, without bending it or creating too much pressure on the KB-bottom.
Can you please give me EXACT measurements in mm of the installed highest points of that combo.
(see also my first post).
Hi RealBlackStuff, thanks for the reply. I don't have thickness measurements ATM, but as you are indeed using the same adapter as I, do you think the Sandisk SSD might be thicker than the Crucial? My case went back together with no interference, thickness/height issues, or warping of the keyboard as you describe. The combo of adapter + SSD is slightly thicker, I think you are correct here, but in my case the added height did not pose a problem, i.e., the unit ultimately went back together without difficulty. I will try to obtain height measurements. But, just out of interest, I take it you were not able to reassemble the keyboard without fear of damaging components?

rsa4046

#6 Post by rsa4046 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Also, sorry for the additional post, but another thought. Looking back over the photos, I believe the maximum height (installed thickness) of the combo was effectively set by the adapter board itself, i.e., the addition of the Crucial SSD did not exceed the highest point of the adapter card. In the case of your SSD, is the installed height relationship the same?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:15 am

Yes, the mSATA-slot on the adapter-card is the highest item in the combo (card + slot = exactly 5mm thick).
My Sandisk mSATA-card does not extend above the mSATA-slot, but only after I shortened the two screw-studs that hold the mSATA-card in place.

The reason why I tried this adapter/mSATA was purely financial, but it had a nice side-effect.
I bought my X1C1 with a password but without SSD.
Removing the password was easy, but looking at the horrendous prices for SSDs for this X1C1, a new SSD would be expensive!
Then I found and bought the above mSATA adapter and the Sandisk mSATA SSD for a lot less.
In the end I wasn't too happy with the bulky solution, so I started looking again for X1C1-SSDs.
After a while I found this Intel 240GB SSD on eBay for $65: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152071659159
It was a new SSD, but somehow the inductor got damaged/broken off, but that part was included.
Having replaced many small parts on motherboards, I thought I could fix that inductor as well, so I bought it.
Then I sent an email to Intel, with those eBay pictures, asking if they could tell me the exact P/N for that inductor, so I could buy a replacement inductor and fix it myself.
From the S/N Intel could see that it was a recent drive, still under warranty.
Intel never asked how it got damaged, or where I got it, but I was asked to send in the damaged SSD.
It took altogether 48 (that's forty-eight) emails and 3 weeks to get this "problem" sorted (and then some!).
After emailing numerous times they sent me a 240GB SSD replacement, but that was a standard mSATA SSD, which obviously does not fit in X1C1.
I returned it, Intel sent me another 240GB SSD and somehow they managed to send the wrong standard mSATA SSD again!
Their warranty department obviously doesn't have the brightest kids on the block...
BTW, both times those SSDs were delivered through overnight Fedex express!
Returned that 2nd one as well and a few days later I received an email that they didn't have any more X1C1 SSDs in stock.
Instead of a warranty-replacement Intel had decided to issue me a check for $228, which arrived 3 days later.
Howzat for a risky $65 investment? :mrgreen:

DNash

#8 Post by DNash » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:47 am

Hi All,
Thanks rsa4046 for the recipe on this. I have acquired the adapter board but have have tried unsuccessfully to obtain the Crucial mSATA SSD 512GB (CT512M550SSD3). Newegg cancelled both of my orders, from two separate vendors in their marketplace.
So my question is: Does anybody know an actual reliable source for this Crucial SSD - or is there another form-factor compatible SSD that you have verified fits in this restricted place?
Thanks for any help!
David Nash

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:12 pm

Welcome to the Forum.
I'd have no problems with this Hynix 512GB mSATA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232096520717
Read this for an alternative: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 63#p789463

rsa4046

#10 Post by rsa4046 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:02 pm

DNash wrote:Hi All,
Thanks rsa4046 for the recipe on this. I have acquired the adapter board but have have tried unsuccessfully to obtain the Crucial mSATA SSD 512GB (CT512M550SSD3). Newegg cancelled both of my orders, from two separate vendors in their marketplace.
So my question is: Does anybody know an actual reliable source for this Crucial SSD - or is there another form-factor compatible SSD that you have verified fits in this restricted place?
Thanks for any help!
David Nash
Hi Dave, I believe that Crucial has replaced this SSD with a newer model, probably why vendors are running out of the older version. I remember compiling some info on this -- will dig it out and post back. I am sure that a suitable substitute can be found ... talk to you soon. Best //rolf

DNash

#11 Post by DNash » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:38 pm

Rolf that would be great. Many thanks in advance. I recall several saying that the height was critical so as to not interfere with closing the case, esp when seated on the adapter board. Grateful for any advice so I can get my X1 Carbon back on the air. Cheers, David

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#12 Post by BillMorrow » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks for any help!
David Nash
in the FWIW column.. :)

i've upgraded my two X1 carbons.. gen 2 about a year old) and now a gen 3 (a couple of months old from an ebay sale)..
have had good luck with amazon..
last one was a 1TB SSD..
also using acronis true image to clone the drives with external adapters..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

DNash

#13 Post by DNash » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:13 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Welcome to the Forum.
I'd have no problems with this Hynix 512GB mSATA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232096520717
Read this for an alternative: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 63#p789463
Hi RBS15000, thanks for the tip. Have you actually installed this Hynix SSD, on the 26 Pin Adapter card from Micro SATA Cables and it all fit without the keyboard bulging? This is a 1st Gen X1 Carbon.

DNash

#14 Post by DNash » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:15 am

BillMorrow wrote:
Thanks for any help!
David Nash
in the FWIW column.. :)

i've upgraded my two X1 carbons.. gen 2 about a year old) and now a gen 3 (a couple of months old from an ebay sale)..
have had good luck with amazon..
last one was a 1TB SSD..
also using acronis true image to clone the drives with external adapters..
Thanks Bill. I'm just not familiar with these SSDs to know how the package height varies across the various brands models

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#15 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:03 am

All mSATA drives have the same height (or card thickness if you wish).
It's the adapter that causes the extra height and hence the bulge.
I'm not using the adapter in my X1C1, since I got an original 180GB Intel SSD for it.
That Hynix SSD is relatively new on the market, but it's top quality.
If I needed another mSATA SSD, I would not hesitate buying a Hynix, especially since the price is very good.

Keep an eye on cdfs's follow-up with the "alternative", that should be lower.

DNash

#16 Post by DNash » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:06 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:All mSATA drives have the same height (or card thickness if you wish).
It's the adapter that causes the extra height and hence the bulge.
I'm not using the adapter in my X1C1, since I got an original 180GB Intel SSD for it.
That Hynix SSD is relatively new on the market, but it's top quality.
If I needed another mSATA SSD, I would not hesitate buying a Hynix, especially since the price is very good.

Keep an eye on cdfs's follow-up with the "alternative", that should be lower.
got it - thanks!