X1C Gen 4 vs X1 Yoga

X1/X1-Carbon series specific matters only
sriram00

X1C Gen 4 vs X1 Yoga

#1 Post by sriram00 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:37 pm

Hello all,

I hope this isn't a topic that's already been delved on. If it is, please feel free to redirect me there. If not, here's my query. I am looking at getting myself a refurbished X1 Carbon. But I do like the idea of the extra versatility offered by the X1 Yoga... mostly the ability to sign documents.

My concerns are:
1) Does the X1 Yoga have a slightly glossy/anti-glare/matte filter type of screen?
I would not like any hint of gloss or glow or a finger-print magnet, even if I have to sacrifice touchscreen abilities.

2) Are there any compromises on build and durability over the standard X1?

3) Does the X1 Yoga have an OLED option? If so is it worth going for? And how do you make out from listings if it has an OLED or not?

4) I am used to and love the UXGA screen on my T60p. So whether I am going for the Carbon or the Yoga, I am definitely getting myself the WQHD option. But do any of you recommend the FHD option instead? Any disadvantages to the WQHD over FHD apart from a small hit in battery life?

Thank you everybody.

w0qj

Re: X1C Gen 4 vs X1 Yoga

#2 Post by w0qj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 am

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago, and I ended up buying the X1C4 (X1 Carbon Generation 4).
In the end, I did not buy the X1 Yoga.

1a. X1C4 (X1 Carbon Generation 4) component upgrade upcharges was actually cheaper than that of the X1 Yoga, at least in the market I am in.

So for the same price for top spec (16 GB RAM, fastest CPU, 1 TB SSD, WQHD LCD):

X1C4 with mobile broadband (WWAN card) built-in was same price as a X1 Yoga without the mobile broadband.

So in the end, I bought X1C4 with built-in mobile broadband ;)

1b. We went for X1 Carbon Generation 4 because we wanted a matt screen with no fingerprints, and we did not care about touchscreen.

X1 Yoga offers only glossy touchscreen, whereas X1C4 offers only matt screens that are not touchscreens.
We suspect that X1 Yoga touchscreens would have fingerprints; our smudged smartphone screens tell us as much ;)

I believe X1 Yoga offered OLED screens, whereas X1C4 does not offer OLED screens.

2a. As for the LCD screen, the X1 Carbon Generation 4 / X1 Yoga had the same brightness for both the WQHD and FHD screens, for Generation 4 series.

2b. For my aging eyes, I ended up paying for a WQHD screen that I did not need; my daily screen resolution is FHD (1920x1080).
ymmv

Have fun choosing your model !
Daily Driver: X1 Carbon 4th Gen (X1C4): i7-6600U 2.6GHz; 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz; 1TB PCIe-NVMe SSD; 14" WQHD 2560x1440; LTE EM7455 Mobile Broadband; Win7 Pro 64bit
Current Thinkpads: X1C4 | X1C3 | X250 | X230 | T410
Retired Thinkpads: T42 | 560 (circa 1996)
~~IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !

sriram00

Re: X1C Gen 4 vs X1 Yoga

#3 Post by sriram00 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Thank you. That was rather helpful. The glare is a no-go for me. No other inputs anybody?