Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Carbon Gen 1 new battery care

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
hyperhead

X1 Carbon Gen 1 new battery care

#1 Post by hyperhead » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:07 am

Hello to all X1C owners.

I guess this is a topic that has been covered in the forums again and again.

However I thought it would be worth asking other X1C owners, that if they have replaced their battery, how are they looking to maximize the battery life of the new battery.

I found some stuff on the Lenovo Forums relating generically to LiPo batterys that its better to maybe fully charge and fully discharge, avoid small charges to maximize the battery life.

I know its a bit obsessive, but I would like to get as long a life as possible out of the X1C as I like using it.

I also found whilst changing the battery that it was only secured with one screw (apart from the holes in the battery that utilize the housing screws). Thet bottom two screws that the video I followed mentioned were not present. I am only the second owner of this laptop and I know for sure that the owner before me replaced the battery.

Thanks in advance.
Current: X1 Carbon G1OS: Slackware-current
Previous: A22m X60, X61T X201 X220 X301

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 1 new battery care

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 am

To answer your LiPo question, this isnt 1992 and NiCd is the only battery. As long as when your battery hits 0%, get ur battery on the charger immediately. Otherwise, do whatever.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by w0qj » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:17 pm

1) In Lenovo's Power Manager (for Win7 anyways), there is an "Optimize Battery Life Mode" where battery starts charging when below 46%, and stops charging when reaching 50%.

This was supposed to safe battery life, according to Lenovo.

2) For Windows 10, there is this newer "Lenovo Settings" found in Windows 10 Store that does the same thing:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... o+settings
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:26 pm

w0qj wrote:1) In Lenovo's Power Manager (for Win7 anyways), there is an "Optimize Battery Life Mode" where battery starts charging when below 46%, and stops charging when reaching 50%.

This was supposed to safe battery life, according to Lenovo.

2) For Windows 10, there is this newer "Lenovo Settings" found in Windows 10 Store that does the same thing:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... o+settings
I thought 40-80% was safe? I guess its 50-0%
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

hyperhead

#5 Post by hyperhead » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:39 pm

I forgot to mention. Windows is not installed on my system, its Slackware Linux
The battery reported as LiP in the info from /proc/acpi/battery which I normally trust for battery state:

Code: Select all

Every 60.0s: cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info                                               

present:                 yes
design capacity:         46030 mWh
last full capacity:      48320 mWh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          14800 mV
design capacity warning: 2416 mWh
design capacity low:     200 mWh
cycle count:              0
capacity granularity 1:  1 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  1 mWh
model number:            45N1071
serial number:             *****
battery type:            LiP
OEM info:                SMP
Could be the battery firmware lying or some software getting it wrong. As the last full capacity is slightly higher than the design capacity.

I suppose I could emulate the Lenovo / Windows battery manager with a bash script to monitor the last full capacity against the remaining capacity state variables when discharging and alert me to charge, or stop charging. However reading it, it seems the Windows 10 version allows the user to set the thresholds, so who knows what is actually best. More research needed I suppose.

Code: Select all

Every 60.0s: cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state                                                  

present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            13696 mW
remaining capacity:      43040 mWh
present voltage:         16001 mV
Thanks for advice.
Current: X1 Carbon G1OS: Slackware-current
Previous: A22m X60, X61T X201 X220 X301