Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

from a X60s to a X1Yoga (G1)

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
bgx
Sophomore Member

from a X60s to a X1Yoga (G1)

#1 Post by bgx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 am

I m swiching from a X60s to a X1yoga OLED (1st gen).

Here are my first impressions. Feel free to ask other questions.
I ll try to add up things as i get to know the beast a bit better.
Pros:
The OLED screen. Omg this is nice. For movie mainly, also for not seeing the difference between the bezel and black screen.
For everyday use, i guess a good IPS is livable. Also remember i come from a bad TN screen :).
keyboard is nicer than i expected. trackpoint too (that was my big fear to use a ultra low profile trackpoint). It sits a bit low and it is not as easy to find as usual, but i think i will manage.

Cons:
I am a bit confused with the very large keyboard, the new layout, in particular concerning page up and page down.
16/9 is definitely too large for me, and not tall enough (it is narrower than my 12" 4/3)!
Next to impossible to open with one hand (it also good, it means that the hinge are very solid).
The glossy glass is a bit distracting. I would prefer it matte. But it seems u cant have that with OLED.

That's pretty much it.
Some stuff i installed:
intel XTU service run at each login with -110mV (may vary depending on the processor). Giving more than -20% less power consumption by the proc. It can sustain 2.9Ghz like that (else it would susstain only 2.5Ghz).
oldnewexplorer, penumra and dark w10 theme to get most things black.

Battery life seems to be around a good 5-6 hours but i cant confirm yet.
Battery maker: SMP. Never heard of them. Any opinion?

That s all for today.

Return to “ThinkPad X1 / X1-Carbon / X1-Extreme and later Series”