Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

spacebar & left-click don't work simultaneously

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
meeotch
Freshman Member

spacebar & left-click don't work simultaneously

#1 Post by meeotch » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:51 pm

I just got both a new X1 Carbon & an X1 Yoga, running Windows 10. I'm finding that software that requires a left-click while holding down the spacebar (Maya, Houdini, Photoshop) isn't receiving this key combination. This is true both of the physical buttons & the touchpad-click. Spacebar & middle or right click both work fine. Oddly, running both of these applications on my ancient W500 under Win7 has no such problems. Both machines are brand new, up to date, and have new installs of all three software packages. Also, when plugging a physical mouse into the machines, everything works as expected.

Is there a Lenovo or Windows 10 specific thing that disables left-click while the spacebar is held down, or that might be swallowing that particular key combo? Any ideas about how to track down the culprit?

meeotch
Freshman Member

Re: spacebar & left-click don't work simultaneously

#2 Post by meeotch » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Replying to my own post: I found threads on the Adobe forums going back several years that suggested the problem was palm rejection on the touchpad. The claimed fix was to turn palm rejection off. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be an option in the (Lenovo?) settings for either of my X1's. There's a slider from "min" to "max", but no "off".

Setting it to "min" did allow me to spacebar-left-click using the touchpad, *sometimes* in *some* of the applications, but not reliably. (And touchpad clicking on these machines is pretty useless anyway.) But the physical left button remains nonfunctional with spacebar.

I barely use the touchpad in any case - I buy Thinkpads for the stick. But even disabling the touchpad didn't restore the functionality in question. Has anyone used Maya/Houdini/Photoshop successfully with either the Carbon or Yoga? (Or unsuccessfully? At least that would confirm the issue.)

meeotch
Freshman Member

#3 Post by meeotch » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Replying to myself again, as I think I've found the solution:

After a whole day of searching & trying stuff, I think I've nailed it. Windows 10 has a setting called "touchpad sensitivity" that supposedly rejects momentary touchpad contact from registering as tap-clicks. For whatever reason, the result on my machine was that the left mouse button was disabled whenever *any* character key (so everything but ctrl, alt, etc.) was held down. Maybe something to do with the interaction of windows and the Synaptics driver, which has its own palm-rejection voodoo. Who knows.

Anyway, turning Touchpad Sensitivity to "most sensitive" re-enabled the left mouse button. For good measure, I also disabled touchpad tap-clicking altogether, since I have physical buttons on my laptop and don't need to tap-click. For the benefit of the next incredibly frustrated person, here's where to find it - it's at the bottom:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/sites/d ... hpad_4.png

kronda

#4 Post by kronda » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Thanks a lot, solved my problem with X1 Extreme Gen 3 :)
T60p 2007-ZE7 14'' 1400x1050 T7200 2GB V5250 XP-SP3