Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Touchpad problems X1C 1st gen

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
cfds
Sophomore Member

Touchpad problems X1C 1st gen

#1 Post by cfds » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to share my recent experience with the X1Carbon touch...
Since a couple of weeks I noticed that from time to time while using the touchpad the mouse pointer would jump uncontrollable. Sometimes I would close or click on items unintentionally...I would find my mouse pointer to shown up on the other side of the display etc.
Then yesterday it became a serious problem, I could not control the mouse via the touchpad, to erratic and even the touchscreen would respond very erratic to inputs. Popped the keyboard so reseat the connections, initially it looked like solved but then it came back. So I swapped the touchpad from the spare keyboard cover I had to find it worse than before.
Old touchpad back in, then I replaced the ribbon cable connecting the touchpad and fingerprint sensor to the board, at the same time I reseated the display connector on the RH side of the MB. Since then it all returned back to normal.
Mouse inputs where normal using an external mouse...
I don't know if it was the touchpad ribbon cable or the connector of the display, happy to have it sorted though!

On the other X1Carbon non touch I had the computer crashing when picking up or holding the laptop at the LH hinge area...it would depend on how far open I had the display. Reseated the cable coming from the LH side of the display on the MB. It cured that problem. The sensor for the "sleep" mode is located LH upper side of the display, I think it caused the problem.

I love the X1C's and hope to use them for many years to come under Win7!

Greetings
Yoga 910, i5 7200u 512GB/8GB, Win 10 Pro
Yoga 930, i7 8550U 512GB/16GB, Win 11 pro
X250 i5 5300U 240GB/8GB, FHD display, 2nd drive 500GB, Win 10 Pro
Yoga 460 i5 6200U 480GB/8GB, FHD touch, Win 10 Pro (project)

cfds
Sophomore Member

Re: Touchpad problems X1C 1st gen

#2 Post by cfds » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:03 am

Update, I was too quick...after using the computer for an hour the problem came back. It seems to come and go.
Very erratic mouse/touchpad behaviour. When scrolling I open and or close other programs, loose the mouse pointer as it jumps to other parts of the display. Not only scrolling is affected, also the normal mouse function.
Updated the touchpad driver yesterday...no improvement.
Normal function with an external mouse...
Also touch input to touchscreen behaves the same as the touchpad...jumping around, jumping open windows in my firefox etc.
Will swap the keyboards between the touch and the non touch X1C, if the problem persist on the touch one then its somewhere in the MB or the touchscreen.
Anybody else some idea's?

cfds
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by cfds » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:15 am

Well...noticed that the "problem" started after a while so I figured it could be a heat problem. Therefore I replaced the PCB on the back of the keyboard assy, the one containing the start button/volume control etc. The board became hot at the area where the touchpad ribbon cable is attached. Cross your fingers...

cfds
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by cfds » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:18 pm

although I seem to talk to myself here my latest update...the problem is not gone and is clearly related to the charging problem I face from time to time on this machine - see the "other charging problem topic". Today I could reproduce/cancel the touchpad problems by plugging/unplugging the laptop onto the charger. Unplugged it functions normally...

jonrkc

#5 Post by jonrkc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:36 pm

You are not talking to yourself, and I'd like to thank you for your detailed description of your experience and the steps you've taken to try to set things right! I acquired a lightly used 1st generation X1 Carbon last week and have been using it with pleasure -on my lap- since then.... But today I placed it on a table for the first time and immediately got the same erratic behavior you describe -- and only when the charger/power supply is attached. So I feel sure that the charger+table scenario is somehow key to the problem. On battery, no problem: plug the charger into the machine, and the touchpad becomes useless, jumps all over the place. The TrackNav (embedded button for pointing) seems not affected in my case. Likewise, and external Bluetooth mouse works just fine under the same conditions.

I hope somebody else will have some ideas for fixing the problem and post here; meanwhile thanks so much for your input, which immediately reassured me, so to speak, that the malfunction I'm experiencing was not an isolated occurrence. By the way, the table in question is of wood and particle board, not metal. Yet it's as though there were some reflection affecting circuitry...!

jonrkc

#6 Post by jonrkc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 pm

First of all, I referred to "TrackNav" but meant "TrackPoint". Sorry.

More experimenting shows that raising the front edge of the machine when on a table, with charger plugged in, greatly improves touchpad performance, making it almost normal. But only when raising it by hand (fingers touching it). Placing an object beneath front edge to elevate it has no effect on the erratic performance. This made me think "capacitance". So I tried just touching the surface of the area surrounding the touchpad under same conditions -- bingo, performance about normal.

This problem, at least my my X1 Carbon Gen 1, is clearly to do with current from the charger, perhaps leaking slightly into the chassis. When the machine is on user's lap, there's enough dissipation of the current (even through clothing, and perhaps merely from nearness to the user's body), to negate the harmful effect on performance of the touchpad. That's my current theory. An easy solution does not come to mind....

triggerbokie

#7 Post by triggerbokie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:24 pm

i had this weird issue. i got me a refurbished x1c 1st gen from an online site.
at first i thought it was a driver issue, but when i pull out of the charger, the touchpad works okay.
but to clear things up, the charger was a class A replica.

i was able to resolve the issue by getting another charger. i bought a PWR+ thinkpad x1c charger
from ebay. no issues from thereon. :banana: :banana:

jonrkc

#8 Post by jonrkc » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:32 am

Triggerbokie, a different charger seems to have solved the problem for me, too. I purchased a spare last year but hadn't got around to using it yet. (I've been using a different laptop, which gave out on me just the other day.)

After reading your post, I plugged in the spare charger (purchased on eBay) and now the touchpad operates as well as when on battery power! It's a little soon to say this will be a real fix, but your post encourages me to hope so.

Thanks for the heads-up!