Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is the Carbon X1 "intermittent left button" problem still a thing?

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
meeotch
Freshman Member

Is the Carbon X1 "intermittent left button" problem still a thing?

#1 Post by meeotch » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Brand new 5th gen X1 Carbon here. The left button seems like it misses a click every 10th or 20th time, particularly if I click on the right side, where your thumb rests naturally.

I found a couple of threads indicating that this was a known problem with previous generations. ("Known" in the sense that a Lenovo tech confirmed it was a design flaw - too wide of a button with only one microswitch underneath.)

Was this issue fixed, and maybe I just have a bad unit? Or is it an ongoing problem? The reason I ask is that I'm still within the holiday return period, and I don't want to try to have the machine repaired, only to fall outside the return period and discover that I have to live with the problem forever.

MCL

Re: Is the Carbon X1 "intermittent left button" problem still a thing?

#2 Post by MCL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:08 pm

the issue with the left button is still not solved.

I have the same issue with my X1C3 and X1C5.

meeotch
Freshman Member

#3 Post by meeotch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:27 pm

Crap. Well, that's not what I wanted to hear... I've been waiting years for Lenovo to make a machine worth updating to. Really thought the X1C was the one. I'm assuming you've tried having the keyboard/buttons assembly replaced with no luck?

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by w0qj » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:07 am

Just to report back anecdotal evidence:

We have two (2) units of X1C3 (3rd generation), and one (1) unit of X1C4 (4th Generation),
and we have never seen this problem you've observed (rare intermittent mouse click miss).
Actually all of our ThinkPad units have never had this problem (see our list of machines below).
meeotch wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:28 pm
Brand new 5th gen X1 Carbon here. The left button seems like it misses a click every 10th or 20th time, particularly if I click on the right side, where your thumb rests naturally. ...
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

meeotch
Freshman Member

#5 Post by meeotch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:56 am

Update: Lenovo sent out a guy to replace the keyboard/trackpad button unit, and the problem is much improved, though not entirely fixed. I'm trying to train myself to hold my thumb more toward the center of the left button in order to overcome the last few percent of the issue. Also trying not to think about how excellent Thinkpad keyboards & buttons used to be. (It's hard, with my old W500 still sitting on my desk.)