Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Carbon 3rd gen damaged screen.

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
MtnGoat

X1 Carbon 3rd gen damaged screen.

#1 Post by MtnGoat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:29 pm

I am the proud owner of a grade B refurbished 3rd gen x1 carbon. It needs a little work, but overall I am really happy with the platform. The display has some damage evidently caused by pressure which has resulted in 8 splotches of white pixels around 1/4" in diameter. The current display must go! It's driving me nuts!

The panel that came with the laptop is the 1920x1080 TN panel, which is OK at best. I would really like to purchase a QHD 2560x1440 panel to replace the existing panel. I have noticed that the connectors are different, a 40 pin vs a 30 pin.

What extra parts would I need to get to make the QHD screen a possibility or isit something that can't be done without extensive part swapping?

FryPpy

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd gen damaged screen.

#2 Post by FryPpy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 pm

You can read this topic. It seems that LCD rear cover is differnt for FHD, WQHD and WQHD+touch models. Some thinkpadders have partial success installing used full screen assembly from X1c g2. But g2 have different led cable so bluetooth, webcam, microphone, and ambient light sensor will not work.
If you need only good image (IPS) but not HiRes may be it will be cheap to swap only LCD with IPS FHD. I have done this: originally was B140HTN01.2 (TN) and have changed with B140HAN01.2 (IPS).

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by w0qj » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:46 am

I know for a fact that the touch screen version of X1 Carbon Generation 3 has a thicker LCD cover (the portion you flip up for LCD is thicker).

I myself have the non-touch version of X1C3 with QHD 2560x1440 IPS panel.

Never opened it up though, still under our (extended) 5-year warranty...
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

MtnGoat

#4 Post by MtnGoat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 pm

For anyone interested (or anyone out there searching) I did successfully upgrade from the base fhd TN panel to a QHD panel, and i'm pretty happy with the results. It's a much better display than the default. I did have to replace the lcd cable with a 40 pin connector cable that I found on ebay for $15. Total cost for the mod is around $110.00 which isn't too bad considering the drastic upgrade. I did have to cut some plastic away around the bottom of the bezel to allow room for the new panel to fit. The two small connectors on either side of the bezel were hitting the board.

FawkesHound

#5 Post by FawkesHound » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 pm

I just ordered a used X1 Carbon 3rd Gen and it is currently being shipped. It has the 1080 TN display which like you I'm considering replacing with a QHD IPS panel, depending on how it looks when I get the chance to inspect it. Could you provide any more detailed information on what was required to make it fit, how many connections were involved, any difficulties you had and if possible any links to where you ordered the 40 pin connector cable and panel from or the model numbers of said items? Any help would be appreciated as I really don't want to end up with a panel I can't use or broken components due to ignorance of the process. Thanks

pure3d2

#6 Post by pure3d2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:34 am

MtnGoat wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 pm
For anyone interested (or anyone out there searching) I did successfully upgrade from the base fhd TN panel to a QHD panel, and i'm pretty happy with the results. It's a much better display than the default. I did have to replace the lcd cable with a 40 pin connector cable that I found on ebay for $15. Total cost for the mod is around $110.00 which isn't too bad considering the drastic upgrade. I did have to cut some plastic away around the bottom of the bezel to allow room for the new panel to fit. The two small connectors on either side of the bezel were hitting the board.
Which panel did you get? Could you give us the FRU or part number for the 40-pin connector cable that you used?

asuds13

#7 Post by asuds13 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:51 pm

In this vein, I was hoping I could get some advice on my own issue...

I am similarly the proud owner of a 3rd gen X1 carbon - one I've had since 2015 though (good bye warranty).

Recently I started getting weird lines on my screen which I could usually fix by changing the angle of my screen; brought it to my local hardware shop, and they told me the LCD is dying (the issue wasn't just the cable, like I had hoped).

They weren't able to find the identical screen to the one I have now (I have the QHD 2560x1440 TOUCH screen installed), but were offering to replace it with a standard HD screen for $400 (i.e. the sum worth of the computer in working order today; per ebay).

Instead, since it's the screen itself, it might be a repair I could do myself. My question though: will it work to REPLACE MY QHD >>TOUCH<< SCREEN (40 pin) WITH A QHD >>NON-TOUCH<< SCREEN (also 40 pin) without also have to replace cables and chips and everything?

I would 1000% appreciate the advice on this one, as my only alternative is starting to seem like getting a whole new unit (but it's only been 3 years!)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:29 am

Begin by downloading the repair-manual (HMM): https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... 065_01.pdf
And the parts-list: https://download.lenovo.com/parts/Think ... 170222.pdf
The (touch) LCD-bezel is glued to the bezel, which is glued to the lid, so you'll need a good quality spudger to separate them.
See also this: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd100479
Depending on how 'clean' you work, you may be able to re-use the bezel, but more likely you may have to buy a new one.

Read that HMM to check the possibilities.
Unfortunately for you touch and non-touch have completely different hardware.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine