Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Review: X1 Carbon Tablet Generation 3 (circa 2018)

X1/X1-Carbon series specific matters only
w0qj

Review: X1 Carbon Tablet Generation 3 (circa 2018)

#1 Post by w0qj » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 am

Here's a review on X1 Carbon Tablet Generation 3 (circa 2018):

www.pcworld.com/article/3283644/tablet- ... hoice.html

"...the tablet landed face down from waist height, spurred us to confirm that yes, it uses Corning’s Gorilla Glass 4 to protect it. In all, though, we have no concerns with the ThinkPad X1 Tablet’s build quality."

"3K" display (3,000 x 2,000 option), faster CPU, more RAM, larger SSD option.
Two USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 (power delivery, DisplayPort, data transfer) ports.

What more can you ask? ;)
Daily Driver: X1 Carbon 4th Gen (X1C4): i7 | 16GB | 1TB | IPS WQHD | LTE WWAN | Win7 Pro
Current Thinkpads: X1C4 | X1C3 | X250 | X230 | T410
Retired Thinkpads: T42 | 560 (circa 1996)
~~IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !

pkiff

Re: Review: X1 Carbon Tablet Generation 3 (circa 2018)

#2 Post by pkiff » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:12 pm

I finally broke down and ordered one of these last week. What I really wanted was a modern machine with a classic keyboard and a good screen with some height to it. But there is none. My W520 I think has a CPU that is as powerful as the (non-upgradeable) CPU in the ThinkPad Retro 25. Which made me think, why would I go retro, when it's not any better than the actual classic legacy machine I already have.

The 3rd gen ThinkPad Tablet Carbon X1 hits a lot of the notes I was looking for in a new ThinkPad. Everything really, except the keyboard. And the lack of ports, And the underpowered CPU - though it looks like that i7-8650U may actually meet my needs and not be much different in practice than my current W520 quad-core.

Well, okay, not everything I was looking for. But it offers some innovations as well as a "good enough" in the other areas.

If I'm gonna put up with a crappy keyboard layout, I needed another strong reason to convince me not just to stay with a W520 or something similar. The new X1 Tablet detachable keyboard form factor combined with its 3000x2000 touch and pen-enabled screen may well be that reason. And the fact that you can at least take some of it apart with regular screws.

Crossing my fingers. This is the first new ThinkPad I've ordered in about 20 years. I've always found that I could get a used machine that was just a couple years old that would meet my needs at a quarter or less of the price of a new machine. I guess we'll see.
W520 (dual-boot Windows 10/Ubuntu 15) · X61 Tablet SXGA+ · T60p UXGA · Legacy: X60T, 600X, 770Z
Thinkpad Media Centre: X61T running XBMC with Broadcom Crystal HD BCM970015, Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 plugged into Cambridge Audio Sonata AR30 receiver