Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 1st Gen (X1C1): Weird Boot Problems

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
kletteraffe

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 1st Gen (X1C1): Weird Boot Problems

#1 Post by kletteraffe » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello,

I bought a used X1 Carbon 1st gen (i5-3427u, 8GB, 1600x900 no touch) with Win10 Pro for 150€, which was my upper limit, I can't afford much more right now, as this one supposed to be my University working PC.
It was labelled as defect, because the SSD got an unknown hardware-password.
I replaced the SSD with a new mSATA 128GB + an adapter like here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=120849
The problem:
- It ONLY (95% of all times so far) boots when the AC is plugged in AND the lid is like 160 degrees opened.
- in all other configurations it does the following:
1) keyboard backlight lits up
2) CPU fan spins up for a split second (and stays active, but not on max, like a regular boot)
3) the power button lights up
4) a few seconds later the WLAN Led lights up
5) nothing other happens. The screen stays black/off/is not lit - also obviously no Lenovo logo is visible. The CPU is active, as the heatsink gets warm, but not hot. I can press any button with no reaction.
6) When pressing the power button for a second, the laptop shuts down immediately. It seems like the BIOS wasn't even loaded.

Sometimes (3% of all cases, especially when all screws are in and tight) the laptop shuts down on its own.
In like 7% of all cases it shuts down when moving the lid.
In the Summer, when I got the laptop, it didnt work for a few days at all. When I got the laptop it was a 50/50 success rate to boot without AC plugged in.

In almost all cases of the sudden shutdown, there is a electric clicking, like if you suddenly power down an old hard drive. It doesn't sound healthy. However I couldnt identify the source of this clicking.
It shut down like 100 times already, so luckily its working till now.

The laptop otherwise runs as it should. I have played back videos & stress tests for over 24 hours without any issues. The lenovo hardware check software didnt report any issues.
The battery hold up to 2 hours, I also replaced the CMOS battery.

I Have unscrewed the keyboard many times, fastened all possible screws, removed bluetooth, wwan and SSD cards and bootet from SD card, the issue is the same.

Is this a known problem? I've read almost all X1C1 related threads in all major boards, but this thread was the only 'hint' on a similar problem, without a real solution: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X ... -p/4005911

The only thing I am able to do (repairwise) would be to NOT replace the motherboard, as this part is around 100€ min and thus far to expensive.
Maybe someone might now what to do and what to look for? Maybe its a faulty LCD connector, as it really requires the lid to be opened far. Or the AC plug?
I couldnt identify any damaged cables or anything like that.

Would some images help further?

Thank you in advance

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 1st Gen (X1C1): Weird Boot Problems

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

I think that the problem is the height of that adapter.
Your keyboard now sits at an angle (Bogen ?) over that adapter, which causes undue pressure while opened or closed.
If you just loosen/remove the keyboard-mounting screws completely, so there is no stress on on the KBt, do you have the same problem?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

kletteraffe

#3 Post by kletteraffe » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Unfortunately, yes.
The problem was there before the SSD upgrade and also persisted when the SSD is removed and booted from SD card.
The same with completely detached keyboard.

I cannot see any cables whatsoever that go through the hinges that might be damaged.
Same with the AC adapter or the USB port next to the AC port.

I'll upload a video tomorrow, maybe that clarifies the problem a bit.

I currently have the left and middle screws unscrewed (the one on the AC side and between the hinges) to give the SSD mod a bit room.

I have a tiny bit of equipment to measure current/voltage and abit of technical knowhow, but I do not know any further. Maybe there are some spots i can measure a short circuit or similar?

The problems are that I cannot boot the laptop without a AC cable. And I am afraid of using the laptop for presentations or serious work and it shuts down all of a sudden. This is a bummer.

kletteraffe

#4 Post by kletteraffe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:02 am

Here is a video that shows the boot-problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HuY7oii9c

I'll do another one when I opened the laptop, but unfortunately there isn't much to see..