Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad x1 extreme battery life

X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1-Extreme (X1Ex) series and later, specific matters only
crypto60

Thinkpad x1 extreme battery life

#1 Post by crypto60 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:46 am

One of the downsides of the x1 extreme is that it only has the integrated battery, since it has the higher draw CPUs and fancy screens Battery life isn’t that great. I am going to start undervaluing the cpu and such but besides the very obvious recommendations anybody find any particular tips to improve battery life on these machines

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad x1 extreme battery life

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:40 am

If you aren't doing anything graphics intensive you might want to try seeing if you can switch to integrated graphics.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

MrMojo

#3 Post by MrMojo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:18 am

It depends on what you're doing.

I have the X1EG1 with 4k screen and don't do any gaming as it's used more for business and for personal usage. Reduce the screen brightness to ~50%, turn off all background activities not needed and adjust the power options to your needs such as power consumption instead of performance and you should get decent battery life ~5-7 hours which isn't bad for a laptop with a 4K screen.

If you do more graphics intensive work or even some gaming, then the battery life will be affected more. The X1E isn't meant for gaming, though.

ThinkPad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by ThinkPad » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:37 pm

I have been using my Gen1 with 4k for over a year, and the battery is not great no matter what is tweaked. The HD screen may be more efficient but I have just accepted it. Good thing it charges quick and always keep the charger around.
Thinkpad X-41 Tablet 1869 CSU- 1.6GHz
Thinkpad T-42P 2373 GUU-2.1 GHz; 2 GB RAM; Mini-dock
::Sierra AirCard WWAN 875::NMB Thai::
RIP-Thinkpad T41 2379 DJU