Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How Enable Keyboard via Thunderbolt in BIOS for use with HDD Password when lid closed?

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
pkiff

How Enable Keyboard via Thunderbolt in BIOS for use with HDD Password when lid closed?

#1 Post by pkiff » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:17 am

Does anyone know how to enable an external keyboard attached via Thunderbolt in order to type in an HDD or Power-On password?

I often have my X1 Carbon Tablet (3rd ed) plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 Dock with its keyboard attached and lid closed.
I also have a BIOS-enabled HDD password that requires me to type in the HDD password before Windows will load.

When my X1 boots up in a docked state, I see the password prompt on my external monitor, but my keyboard is not enabled. So I have to open up the X1 itself and type the HDD password on the actual X1 keyboard before Windows loads. After Windows loads, then I can close the X1 up and use my external keyboard to log into Windows and do all other work as normal.

In the BIOS there are a lot of different settings related to Thunderbolt and USB and Security, and I just wonder if someone knows the right combination I need? (I don't want to disable all my security related to Thunderbolt and USB if I can help it, since that would partly defeat the purpose of having full disk encryption to begin with.)
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: How Enable Keyboard via Thunderbolt in BIOS for use with HDD Password when lid closed?

#2 Post by dr_st » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:34 am

On my X1 Carbon 5th Gen I had to set Config --> Thunderbolt 3 --> Support in Pre Boot Environment --> USB Device --> Enabled.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

pkiff

Re: How Enable Keyboard via Thunderbolt in BIOS for use with HDD Password when lid closed?

#3 Post by pkiff » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks. I got it working now, though the option names in my X1 Carbon Table 3rd gen are slightly different in the current BIOS:
Config --> Thunderbolt 3 --> Support in Pre Boot Environment --> Thunderbolt Device --> "Pre-Boot ACL"

There is no "USB Device" listed in the "Support in Pre Boot Environment" menu on my BIOS - even though my user manual lists that menu item there. I think some recent X1 Tablet BIOS update must have changed the options available in that menu. I first tried setting the "Thunderbolt Device" value to "Enable," but the keyboard didn't work for entering the password in that setting, so I had to set it to "Pre-Boot ACL".

Also, I changed the Config --> Keyboard --> Enumerate setting to ON, though I'm not 100% sure if that is necessary. Changing that setting alone does not enable the keyboard, and it may or may not be necessary in conjunction with the Pre-Boot ACL setting.

Lastly, some random info I found on the Interwebs recommends changing the Thunderbolt security settings to "No Security". This was not necessary in my case. My Security setting is still set at User Authorization - which I think means that each device must be authorized prior to use. I authorized the keyboard via the Thunderbolt desktray widget in Windows 10 before getting it to work for the HDD password during boot.

Phil.
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.