Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Carbon 1st Gen touchpad issues

X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1-Extreme (X1Ex) series and later, specific matters only
servergeek

X1 Carbon 1st Gen touchpad issues

#1 Post by servergeek » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a X1 Carbon 1st Gen 3046 that is refusing to POST/boot if I have the touchpad connected.

I replaced the ribbon cable and touchpad with new ones and it's still refusing to POST or RESUME from sleep/hibernation if the touchpad is connected.

The FAN & Power button will light up but the LCD will stay off / no backlight + no POST/BOOT
If I connect the touchpad while the x1 is on, it will work as expected but not show up in the device manager (windows 10) or have any kind of presence into touchpad settings/etc.

The trackpoint is working as expected and I disconnected pretty much everything in a try to see if some other component is having some conflict for some reason with the touchpad....

This is a used x1 carbon and I would hate to see it laying in a closet just because of a touchpad issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ShadeTech

Re: X1 Carbon 1st Gen touchpad issues

#2 Post by ShadeTech » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:37 am

From what I recall, having just taken mine apart, the touchpad connects into something on the bottom of the keyboard, and then there's a main connector running form there to the motherboard. I would hate to suggest that as the next item for diagnostics due to cost, but that sounds like the next logical step. Has the machine experienced any spills? Could be liquid damage causing corrosion somewhere on that pcb. The only other thing I could think of is getting a replacement palmrest/keyboard somewhere with a return policy and using that for diagnostics.

What is the history of the machine? Have you had it its whole life? Recent problem? Liquid Damage?