Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo screen totally black after change

X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1-Extreme (X1Ex) series and later, specific matters only
Malkotte

Lenovo screen totally black after change

#1 Post by Malkotte » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Good morning,

When changing the screen of my Thinkpad X1 Carbon (1st generation), I encountered a problem: I disconnected the old screen, I put the new one in, I started the machine and everything works, great! and the one very, very, very bad idea comes to mind: Reconnect the old screen but WITHOUT TURNING OFF THE COMPUTER. So I unplug the new one and reconnect the old one and the black screen (the screen does not even turn on, it remains totally black) So I think that the screen has given its last breath of life and I reconnect the old one still with the computer on and the same screen totally black (off). I restart, hard reboot (with the button reset at the back of the computer) and I do the manip: 10 press on the power button (pressure of 1 second each one) then a push of 20 seconds and still nothing the problem remains the totally black screen (off). But if I plug in a screen into HDMI, everything is fine, it works perfectly.When I have a screen plugged into HDMI and I go into display to get the list of screens, the screen is well recognized (the real screen of the computer).

So I’m asking for your help.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Pokrzept
Sophomore Member

Re: Lenovo screen totally black after change

#2 Post by Pokrzept » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:04 am

If your laptop was on and you reconnected eDP connector there's nearly 100% chance that you just blown the display backlight fuse during this procedure. This happened due to contact of power supply pins with a connectors cover which works as an shielding/grounding potential. This causes short circuit and tripping of the fuse.
P70 / W530 / W700 and 30 more :roll:

Malkotte

#3 Post by Malkotte » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:25 am

Pokrzept wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:04 am
If your laptop was on and you reconnected eDP connector there's nearly 100% chance that you just blown the display backlight fuse during this procedure. This happened due to contact of power supply pins with a connectors cover which works as an shielding/grounding potential. This causes short circuit and tripping of the fuse.
you right when I pass a flashlight behind the screen it works, which part must I change?

Thank you man

flolic

#4 Post by flolic » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:42 pm

You need to change fuse F1, that's fuse for backlight.
Schematic and PCB mark this fuse as 3A part, but actual fuse on my board is 2.5A ("O" marking).
Fuse is on the back side of PCB, opposite the CN4 display connector.