Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Uninstall and delete camera driver and reinstall

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
deboopi

Uninstall and delete camera driver and reinstall

#1 Post by deboopi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:07 am

I have a X1 Extreme 2nd gen and I have following issue.

All of a sudden my webcam showed a Black and White image instead of a colored one.
After some tests I called in the Lenovo service and they replaced my camera.
First boot after the replacement my camera worked again , colors instead of B&W.
Second boot and once again I have a B&W image.

To make up if it was hardware or software I installed one USB stick with Ubuntu and another one with Windows to go (from the Windows disc rel 1903 or 1909). Booting any of those os gave me a colored image. I installed updated lenovo drivers on the windows to go version and I still had colors.

So I'm pretty sure this is a driver problem.
Of course I can reinstall Windows from a USB recovery stick but then I have to reinstall all my programs and that is something I want to avoid.

I started googling and I found this website https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10 ... ws-10.html
I can follow until step 4: Remove a device driver.
In that list I cannot find anything for 'camera' or 'realtek',
I can of course continue without step 4, but I don't know what will happen with the leftovers in the registry (if there are). Will they be replaced upon new installation or will they stay,
I like to continue with the registry entries cleaned up,

Looked a bit further and I found driver uninstall programs but I do not know how good they are and if they take a backup of what they remove, I like to have such a backup so I can revert in case of problems. Suggestions for that kind of programs are welcome,

I also found a newer version of the camera driver but this newer version also did not solve my problem.

So can anbody tellme how to proceed from here?