Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Carbon - 2nd Gen - No Power Up, Three Blinks

X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1-Extreme (X1Ex) series and later, specific matters only
jmsnas

X1 Carbon - 2nd Gen - No Power Up, Three Blinks

#1 Post by jmsnas » Sun May 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Hi all,

Got a used 2nd generation x1 carbon. Can't recall the specific model off the top of my head, but if need be I can provide it. I think it's like 20a7 or 20a8?

Anyhow, this thing was working great for quite some time. I was trying to replace the screen with a non-touch one (originally came with QHD touch which was severely cracked), and I was trying a whole bunch of different lvds cables to see if I could get it to detect a display. I made sure to power it off each time I messed around with it, but after a while it just stopped booting altogether. So I put the whole thing back together as it was, but still, nothing.

So here's what I get:

- plug in the power cord, the power button and 'i' light blink three times, which is normal.
- When I try to press the power button, those lights blink three times again, but the computer makes no attempt to power on. Blinks three times whenever I try to press or even hold the power button.
- no beeps or tones. Absolutely silent.

What I've tried based on research & general troubleshooting knowledge:

- CMOS/BIOS reset (remove battery & CMOS battery, let sit for a while)
- try to boot with no CMOS battery or internal battery
- disconnect all ribbon cables except for the one that leads to the function bar and power button and try to boot
- bunch of other things I don't feel like writing about, since this post is already really long (sorry)

None of these things resulted in anything else. When I pulled the cmos and battery, I even tried to leave them disconnected overnight. Still no progress.

What do you all think? A shorted connector or desoldered chip? Of important note is that I got this thing for free from my father after the screen broke. Since it's a relatively old machine and not in amazing condition, I really don't want to put any money into it, and I certainly don't want to bring it to a service center because it's not really worth it.

So yeah, any help or recommendations aside from "bring to service center", are much appreciated. Thanks! I feel like I definitely f****d something up when I was messing about with displays...

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X1 Carbon - 2nd Gen - No Power Up, Three Blinks

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun May 03, 2020 12:25 pm

Tried the Emergency-Reset on the bottom?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

jmsnas

Re: X1 Carbon - 2nd Gen - No Power Up, Three Blinks

#3 Post by jmsnas » Sun May 03, 2020 12:40 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:25 pm
Tried the Emergency-Reset on the bottom?
Yup, that too. Nothing... Sorry forgot to mention that.
It has like two of those momentary switches; one on the motherboard itself and one on the usb board. Tried both with no luck.

Also I should mention that while this thing was still running, I preformed an update to the latest BIOS. Nothing broke after I did that.