Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) WQHD Touchscreen Replacement Advice Sought

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
juicy

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) WQHD Touchscreen Replacement Advice Sought

#1 Post by juicy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:08 am

Hey guys,

So I'm having issues with the WQHD (2560x1440) touchscreen LCD on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2nd Gen 20A8 series.

The screen is able to display clearly upon boot, but rapidly deteriorates - displaying artifacts, blurring/smudging of colours vertically, fading/greying of some or most of screen, variously.

By applying pressure toward the bottom-right side of the bezel I was able to restore the screen to normal fidelity temporarily - suggesting that the issue lay with either the "LMQ1 Touch Wire" cable, or the screen connector into which it goes.
I then replaced both the LMQ1 and EPD cable (the other cable, on the opposite side, which connects to the screen) for good measure. This failed to resolve the issue.
Consequently, I assume the issue therein lies with the connector itself? See: https://imgur.com/a/bQt9jun

My queries, then, are:

1. Whether more enlightened members would agree with the above assessment; and, if so:
2. Whether this necessitates a full screen replacement; and, if so, (bearing in mind I wish to maintain touchscreen functionality):
3. Whether my replacement options would be limited only to Gen 2 touch screens, or whether I can consider a broader range of 40-pin/EDP screens?

This post viewtopic.php?f=62&t=118906&p=766126 response from fb1996 indicates Gen 2 & Gen 3 screens use EDP, from which I assume I could consider a Gen 3 touch screen replacement?

All and any advice is sincerely and gratefully recieved.

J