Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Closed lid sensor not working on X1C 3rd gen?

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
betonhaus

Closed lid sensor not working on X1C 3rd gen?

#1 Post by betonhaus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:25 pm

Hello, I purchased an X1C 3rd gen on eBay when there was a couple dozen units dumped for $200ish and I got it up and running and replaced the damaged usb port, but one thing I noticed is that the lid sensor doesn't seem to work so the display doesn't turn off when you close the lid and it doesn't go to sleep or standby even when set to. Is there a special driver I need, or does anyone know here the sensor is and if it's replaceable? I was hoping it was on the right hand usb board (which has the intrusion sensor and a little button on it for some reason) but that didn't seem to fix it and i'm not quite sure where to look for the sensor. After reading here I used a magnet to test and found the sensor by the webcam and it works fine. turns out the magnet near the trackpad has gone missing, so I just need to find a replacement for that. Hoping that cutting a strong fridge magnet to fit does the job, tried a cheap one and it worked when pressed directly against the lid but not when installed.

I'll try to experiment but looks like I need a magnet like 2-3mm wide and about 15mm long which is a tricky size to find.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Closed lid sensor not working on X1C 3rd gen?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:36 am

Maybe check some kids toys like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=14520193031
They should have small magnets.

Or check any local computer store for palm rests from old(er) machines.
Those magnets are probably very similar in size.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Covid-19: Stay safe, so still Mask it or Casket!

betonhaus

#3 Post by betonhaus » Mon May 03, 2021 3:03 pm

I ordered a set of 5 2mm disk magnets from ebay for $1 in the hopes they work. Fridge magnets and anything I can cut to shape is not strong enough, and there seems to be nothing that is the correct size. I didn't even think to check the local used laptop recyclers though, I gave them a call and hopefully I hear back from them, thanks.

betonhaus

#4 Post by betonhaus » Mon May 17, 2021 6:11 pm

the 2mm neodynium magnets work great, Thank you Igor from Moldolva