Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 carbon after Gen 5th : texture (rubbery or smooth) and key travel?

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
Vini75

X1 carbon after Gen 5th : texture (rubbery or smooth) and key travel?

#1 Post by Vini75 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:40 am

Hello Everyone,

I have one X1 carbon gen 4th, and a X1 carbon Gen 5th, i love them, but...

I like less the gen 5th because of the texture of the materials, on the gen 5 it's kind of a rubbery/gripping texture, while on the gen 4th it's a soft/smooth plastic, so iwould like a leter Gen that 5 but with the smooth plastic sensation and not a rubbery gripping touch.

So my question to the community, what is the texture (rubbery or smooth) of the Gen later than 5 and the keyboard key travel : Gen 6/7/8/9/10 ?

And do you know the key travel of the keyboard for these Gen 6/7/8/910 ?
I think the 1,5 mm key travel is until the Gen 6. But after the Gen 7, the key trave become less and less bigger than 1,5 mmm ?

mikemex

Re: X1 carbon after Gen 5th : texture (rubbery or smooth) and key travel?

#2 Post by mikemex » Mon May 16, 2022 10:29 pm

The case of the X1 Carbon is metallic (magnesium), not plastic. It's the kind of paint over it what gives the different texture.

I've not seen an X1C5 in person, but I suspect it's just like the T series. The rubbery paint is OK, but it absorbs finger oil quickly and can get gummy if you don't clean it from time to time. Check on reddit, I saw someone recommending a cleaning product that works really well. In an extreme case, you can strip the laptop and repaint it the way you like...

As for the key travel, I think 5th and 6th generation share chassis, and keyboard. If so, then yes, the 6th is the last version with 1.7 mm travel.

I also have a X1C4 (a few, actually) and I've been thinking about getting an X1C5. Do you think it's worth it? From what I know it's more compact, has a larger battery capacity and the cooling system is beefier.

Have you had any problems with it? Why did you get the 5th after having a 4th?
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C5: 7600U | 16GB | 1TB | FHD
X1C9: 1145G7 | 16GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
P14s G1 AMD: 4750U | 32GB | 1TB | PG FHD Touch
T14 G2: 1145G7 | 32GB | 1TB | FHD