Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo Think X1 Gen3 Tablet Backlight

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
sharky88

Lenovo Think X1 Gen3 Tablet Backlight

#1 Post by sharky88 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:50 pm

Hi guys

I've tried upgrading the SSD in my thinkpad x1 gen 3 tablet followed al l instrustions and end up blowing the fuse / cap for the backlight on the motherboard I believe as the backlight on the LCD doesn't light up anymore. Seems to be quite a common problem just having a little look around. I probably happened after the tablet refused to take the new ssd drive and I probably forgot to plug the battery or the power my bad!!

Does anymore know what cap it is on the board that probably gone. Am not worried about using a soldering iron but end up buying the schemetics which were of little help with the situation.

Cheers

Tim

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Lenovo Think X1 Gen3 Tablet Backlight

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:58 am

If you shine a torch at an angle at the LCD, can you still see a picture (albeit very vague/dark)?
If so, you most likely blew the backlight fuse.
On your machine you need to check 3 fuses, all near the LCD-connector on the motherboard:
fuse F2701 LCD power \
fuse F2702 backlight../ both are 3A/32V/Fast, type ERBRD3R00X
fuse F2703 touch, 1A/32V/Fast, type ERBRD1R00X
F2701 and F2702 are along that LCD-connector JP2701 near the mobo edge.
F2703 is a bit further away, NNE of F2702

You can solder a new fuse on top of the old one, but be aware that they are tiny.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

sharky88

#3 Post by sharky88 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:38 am

Hi,

Yes you can see the Lenovo boot logo. If you the screen in to the right position. I'll look at them fuses later but as you said they pretty darn tiny. Even with my soldering skills it scares me to death!

Thank you for you help.

Cheers

Tim

sharky88

#4 Post by sharky88 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:17 pm

As an update I took it too a local small soldering place. Turns out all 3 of them fuses / caps are fine. He's a replacing another chip which I'll confirm which one he changed once I pick it up. But it's cost me less than $120 ish to get it repaired which I don't mind paying. Once I have an update I'll leave it here.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:28 am

I don't want to sound mean, but that 'soldering place' sounds a bit like a rip-off joint to me.
I have come across plenty of Thinkpads with dim screens and all of them only ever needed a fuse replaced.

PS: why pay $$ for a repair if you live in the UK?

sharky88

#6 Post by sharky88 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:02 pm

Well he tested all 3 of the fuses listed in front of me. As I was watching. I do a lot of electronics my self but not surface mount bits. So after I watching him test all 3 in front of me.
It become apparent that it wasn't them fuses. He pointed to another chip that lined up with what he was talking about when looking at the schematics which I had in front me at the time. He had microscope (with screen) and multimeter running so I wasn't like I can't see what he was doing.

I don't know who would read this so I listed the most common currency that most people may understand. Only reason I listed in $$$ seems sensible to me! Most people in the world have an idea what an American dollar is worth compared to an English pound. This site is also a .com site which normally points to America... Seemed logical too me (correct me if am wrong tho)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:32 am

I'd be very interested to hear what component(s) have been replaced when you get it back.
Best of Irish!

AFAIK the majority of Forum members lives in the USA, so mentioning a $$ price does make sense.
(Guess I wasn't quite awake yet when I commented that...)