Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1C 3 GEN won't boot up on battery, but can work with battery after removing the adaptor

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
TonyYu

X1C 3 GEN won't boot up on battery, but can work with battery after removing the adaptor

#1 Post by TonyYu » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:17 pm

Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen3 (2015). One week ago I tried myself to change the thermal paste, but harmed the fan insertion plug site. I also had a hard time removing the battery plug from the motherboard. After that, it seemed the battery plug can not be plugged as deep as before.

I went to a repair store to replace the damaged fan insertion plug. Then the laptop cannot boot on battery, however after booted with the connected adaptor, it can continue to work with the battery after I unplug the adaptor. The battery is also able to be charged with the adaptor, and the battery volume seems file in win 10. I went to the repair store again, the engineer told me there as nothing wrong with the battery plug.

I installed the Lenovo diagnostic tool and found nothing wrong with the battery.

Some posts from elsewhere recommend push the reset button which I didn't find. Or the CMOS batter is to be replaced. However, the system time in BIOS seems up to date.

What else can I try to fix this? Thx

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X1C 3 GEN won't boot up on battery, but can work with battery after removing the adaptor

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:09 am

Get this X1C3 manual and check page 45 for the Reset button.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

TonyYu

Re: X1C 3 GEN won't boot up on battery, but can work with battery after removing the adaptor

#3 Post by TonyYu » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:20 am

Thank you for this manual. After reset, the laptop can boot with the battery. But several minutes after the shut up, it cannot boot again, unless the restore is pressed again

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:00 am

Can you boot from the charger if the battery is disconnected?
Have you tried another charger?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

TonyYu

#5 Post by TonyYu » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:13 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:00 am
Can you boot from the charger if the battery is disconnected?
Have you tried another charger?
Thank you a lot. but, I haven't tried that. The battery insertion site is already partially damaged on the plastic cover (the pins are healthy), so I am reluctant to unplug the battery by myself. It should be OK to boot from the adapter/charger, and other chargers. I can boot the laptop from the adapter/charger now. The problem is I cannot boot from the battery, which hasn't run out of battery.

Do you insist to trying to boot from the charger with battery disconnected to test something?

Might it be the problem of the CMOS battery?

thewaywardgeek

#6 Post by thewaywardgeek » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:39 am

TonyYu wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:20 am
Thank you for this manual. After reset, the laptop can boot with the battery. But several minutes after the shut up, it cannot boot again, unless the restore is pressed again
Check if "TIME" resets everytime you turn off the Laptop, if so then you need to replace the RTC/CMOS Battery of the laptop.

TonyYu

#7 Post by TonyYu » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:13 am

thewaywardgeek wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:39 am
TonyYu wrote:
Check if "TIME" resets everytime you turn off the Laptop, if so then you need to replace the RTC/CMOS Battery of the laptop.
You mean check the BIOS time, right?

TonyYu

#8 Post by TonyYu » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:25 pm

thewaywardgeek wrote:
TonyYu wrote:
The time in BIOS seems file, whenever I enter the BIOS.

thewaywardgeek

#9 Post by thewaywardgeek » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:43 am

TonyYu wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:25 pm
thewaywardgeek wrote:

Hmm, might as well replace the CMOS/RTC Battery just to be sure.

TonyYu

#10 Post by TonyYu » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:16 am

thewaywardgeek wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:43 am
TonyYu wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:25 pm

I changed the CMOS battery, unfortunately, the problem is still there

thewaywardgeek

#11 Post by thewaywardgeek » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:13 am

TonyYu wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:16 am
thewaywardgeek wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:43 am

Hmm, try resetting the BIOS to Factory Defaults and setting it back up again. If this is still a NO GO, then check if pins are properly aligned so that all pins make contact to the System? This is the only thing I ca think of that messes up your system as you've said that battery insertion site is damaged.

TonyYu

#12 Post by TonyYu » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:03 am

thewaywardgeek wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:13 am
TonyYu wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:16 am

Hmm, try resetting the BIOS to Factory Defaults and setting it back up again. If this is still a NO GO, then check if pins are properly aligned so that all pins make contact to the System? This is the only thing I ca think of that messes up your system as you've said that battery insertion site is damaged.
I checked, the plastic cover was damaged in the plug, but the pins are well aligned. Besides the battery plug, the fan plug was repaired in a local store. They removed the damaged plug and replaced (may be welded) another one onto the motherboard. Then this problem emerged. I cannot blame the store for the repair since they completed the repair task and the fan worked well. They didn't adjust other parts on the motherboard. It's already a 8-year-old laptop. Maybe it's time to say goodbye to it.