Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo Miix 2 Tablet GPS

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
fefrie

Lenovo Miix 2 Tablet GPS

#1 Post by fefrie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Im deciding between picking up the Lenovo Miix 2 tablet or the Dell Venue pro tablet. Both 8 inches. Old models.

Differentiating factors is that the Lenovo has built in GPS, and the Dell has a digitizer for better pen input.

My question is, how functional is this GPS in the Lenovo tablet? Is there any program, or app that would actually be able to use this GPS functionality.

Would Bing Maps be able to utilize it? And more importantly, apps like Here Maps be able to use it, since Here Maps, I can download the maps offline and use as a poor mans emergency GPS?

Are there any windows 8 apps where GPS would make a difference?

I'm thinking a bit on the no side... Any thoughts?
IBM Thinkpad T23 1.13 2647-9LU 640MB Ram 40GB hard drive SOLD!
T42 SXGA 1.7 64mb xp

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Lenovo Miix 2 Tablet GPS

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Biggest question: what is your primary use for the tablet? If it is going in the car as a navigation device, grt the miix. If you plan on using it as a painting tool, get the Venue. Etc..
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

fefrie

Re: Lenovo Miix 2 Tablet GPS

#3 Post by fefrie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:02 pm

A navigation device.

But that's a moot point if there are no apps or programs that can use the GPS functionality.

Windows 8.1 is primarily a 'desktop' OS and most people don't use desktops, or laptops as GPS navigation devices.

Of couse there are specific programs that require GPS input, my question is are there many consumer level programs/apps that use GPS integrated as part of the OS for easy connectivity.

GPS is rare in a desktop or Laptop, so I don't want to buy it and find out that it's about as useful as an IR port.
IBM Thinkpad T23 1.13 2647-9LU 640MB Ram 40GB hard drive SOLD!
T42 SXGA 1.7 64mb xp