Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad 10 Windows 10 drivers+BSOD

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
magneticmonop01e

ThinkPad 10 Windows 10 drivers+BSOD

#1 Post by magneticmonop01e » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:07 am

Hello!
I got a (used) ThinkPad 10 tablet with WWAN, dock and a Z3795 CPU. It is not a speed demon, but it works well as a note-taking tablet (with pen) and a simple typewriter. That is, I don't put a lot of strain on it.
I have some issues though and I would like to know if anyone else encountered them. It came with weirdly installed Windows 10 and an old BIOS, unfortunately I don't recall which one. Then, it only froze once and had no issue with the clock. Now, after reinstalling, Windows Update offers a lot of "Intel - SYSTEM" drivers and an Intel GPIO router 0F00 (?) driver as optional. Installing any of those disables touch, pen support and rotation, so I don't install them.

However, it now freezes after strain (any striain, mostly from Edge, but not always!) and soon after crashes with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Also, it regularly locks itself on a 0.53 GHz clock speed and requires a reboot.

Does anyone have a magic trick or a "critical path" of the driver versions and BIOS versions that I should slipstream with the setup ISO or install, that would reduce these issues? Or maybe it's a hardware failure? It's an old, used device after all... I would be grateful for any troubleshooting tips, the BSOD coredumps don't exist.

Regards,
---
❤ T23 && X41 Tablet && X60 + Ultrabase && R61 + Ultrabay Drive && T61 + Advanced Dock && X220 Tablet + Ultrabase && T420 + Dock && 10 Tablet + Dock + Folio && L15 Gen 1 ❤

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: ThinkPad 10 Windows 10 drivers+BSOD

#2 Post by dr_st » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:54 am

Welcome to the forum. :) Sorry to hear about the troubles you are experiencing with your machine.

If you enable kernel memory dump (not minidump) and use WinDbg, you can try to analyze the BSOD and pinpoint the problematic driver.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

magneticmonop01e

Re: ThinkPad 10 Windows 10 drivers+BSOD

#3 Post by magneticmonop01e » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:48 am

Thanks for the welcome and a prompt answer. I have full memory dumps enabled. Unfortunately it would seem that the hardware is unable to either write an event log entry or create the memory coredump on disk, because both are missing. Reliability Monitor only shows "unexpected shutdown", not a BSOD. And that one is writted retroactively to the log after a dirty reboot occurs. BlueScreenView also says nothing *since there are no events and no DMP files)
---
❤ T23 && X41 Tablet && X60 + Ultrabase && R61 + Ultrabay Drive && T61 + Advanced Dock && X220 Tablet + Ultrabase && T420 + Dock && 10 Tablet + Dock + Folio && L15 Gen 1 ❤