Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Re: TP Helix II (20CG/20CH) Sierra-Chip deactivated ??

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
friedrich-eugen
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

Re: TP Helix II (20CG/20CH) Sierra-Chip deactivated ??

#1 Post by friedrich-eugen » Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:12 am

I am still trying gto make the best possible use of my spare Helix II (20CG/20CH M-5Y71 8GB plus), as it is, it is very much an expensive passtime... :(

The machines run Windows 11(as they did Windows 10) and will probably work properly untill 2025 (or may be longer, if additonal support is available). I use CCleaner Pro and find that its cleaning- and update-function is a help, not a problem. The speed is reduced, as the OS is asking more ressources, and it will be slow, if using MS-Office Pro plus... Traveling and having some exchange while on road is still comfortable, 2 batteries are a plus and the display is just top.

My earlier battery problems seem solved. It seems sensible letting the NB load for some hours, before changing batteries, not all batteries are dead, just nearly dead or very much down...

Open questions:
  • Sierra 7345 WWAN is seen, but it will not be active and will not read a inserted SIM-Card. Is this "deactivation" (?) a consequence of Patent-disputes between Sierra and NN, owner of a patented function??

• Any advice on how to skip the sierra and use a different WWAN-Chip? If so, which one is recommended?

• In case there is a substitute - how to deacitvate the Blacklist / change the Whitelist of such an Thinkpad Helix II?
Any help / info / advice would be welcome!!
-friedrich-eugen-
started with IBM-XT & AST-Ascentia (910N) in the 90ties, relying on Thinkpads (770X, A31P, T60-61P Frankenp.) until 2017,
still using TP W530 FHD (i7 Nvida 2GB, 32GB, 500GB & 2TB SSD), X230T (i7 16GB/ 1TB), TP Yoga X390 (i7 16GB 2TB)
Windows 10 & Windows 11 Pro