Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad Tablet 2 WiFI Issue

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
PRGeno
Freshman Member

ThinkPad Tablet 2 WiFI Issue

#1 Post by PRGeno » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:37 pm

My Thinkpad Tablet 2 insists on connecting to my 802.11n using the 2.4Ghz band in our dual band network. When connected to the 2.4Ghz band it exhibits very poor network performance.

The only way I can get it to connect to the 802.11n 5GHz network is by disabling the 2.4Ghz radio on the access points (Ubiquiti Unifi AP-Pro dual band network with multiple access points using a single SSID for all access points and both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). When it connects to the 5Ghz network it exhibits much better network performance.

I'm using the latest Lenovo 5.93.97.113 driver but don't see any way to set the Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO Adapter driver's advance settings to force (or even prefer) use of the 5Ghz band. All of my other dual band capable devices (show preference) automatically connect to the 5Ghz band, and even those connecting the 2.4Ghz band exhibit much better performance on that band that my Tablet 2.

I'm evaluating the Tablet 2 for a manufacturing floor deployment, but they either need to perform better on the 2.4Ghz band, or automatically force connection to the 5Ghz band, otherwise they can't be used in this environment/application.

Does anyone have any ideas, or can confirm or refute my findings?

Thanks

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: ThinkPad Tablet 2 WiFI Issue4

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:26 pm

pretty old post BUT having recently acquired a TPT2 and a netgear R7000 wifi router i have no trouble using whchever frequency i select.. 2.4 or 5..

also i use my older netgear wifi router on the ADSL connection and have no trouble switching between the two but i need to re-enter the password for each of course..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~