Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

TPT2 couple of questions

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
Drug_Store

TPT2 couple of questions

#1 Post by Drug_Store » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Hello,

Few days back I made this post at lenovo forum:

Code: Select all

Hello @ll,

I'm a recent user to lenovo tablets, but been using Ibm/Lenovo laptops for many years.

Anyway, a relative offered me a Thinkpad Tablet 2 recently. It's a good tablet with windows8 I agree. 
However it comes with a number of flaws.
Without knowing much about it, turned it on, configured it... ok.
Tried the pen, not working. And not seeing how to access wwan, besides having SIM card slot, and a working SIM card inserted.

Well, maybe I missed something. So installed (updated) a Windows 8.1 Pro. Installed System Update, and installed all windows updates.
Even so, the problems were the same. 

Digging on foruns I read it was possible to update from 8 to 8.1 by Lenovo site.
So, inserted the recovey pen, and went back to Windows 8 with all Lenovo apps.
Updated to 8.1 by Lenovo site. Nothing helped.

Searching a little more I found that depending on model number, some basic features (wwan, pen, nfc) are not present on all models.
Unfortunately, this model is 3679-2PG
http://lenovo.cleverboxes.com/p-194961-n3s2puk-lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-2-36792pg-101-inch-multitouch-...

And besides saying:
"Extreme Mobility. Measuring less than 10mm, the 10.1" ThinkPad Tablet 2 goes everywhere you go. And, with up to 10 hours battery life, it keeps going for as long as you need it to. Use 3G and 4G* support to stay connected to colleagues, family and friends."

I can see here the diference on model specs:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Clarification-Requested-on-Thinkpad-2-Model-Numb...

"3679-2PG 32GB No Pen  No WWAN No NFC Win8 32"

So why it comes with SIM slot and pen? ain't this misleading the buyer?
Anyway to enable wwan and pen features at least?

Second question, is there a way to install a real clean win8? I mean, insert usb, wipe completly the internal storage, and install win8 afterwards.  

Thank you and best regard to all
Got a reply:

I'm afraid the best reference document to find out what is included in a TPT2, and what is not, is Lenovo's Product Reference Specifications document. For Western Europe, it's here:

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ttcbook_WE.pdf

As you have discovered, online retailers generally do a poor job of cutting and pasting boilerplate text that often misleads. Cleverboxes seem to be a particularly sloppy site judging from the entry for the TPT2 that you quote.

I'm surprised that the pen silo was unblocked, and apparently came with a pen on your example of the 3679-2PG. Usually, models without the Wacom active digitizer built in are manufactured with a red plastic plug blocking the silo. Some people have been known to remove the plug, buy an extra pen, and expect the pen to work. It won't. There is no digitizer inside the TPT2 for the pen to interact with.

I've not heard of anyone replacing the screen with a screen + digitizer unit. I suspect that there is also a chip module required for the digitizer.

Similarly with the SIM slot. All TPT2s are manufactured with a dual MicroSD and SIM card connector. Unfortunately, not all TPT2 models are manufactured to include the WWAN chip module that connects to the connector, and the antenna that connects to the chip module. Some people are rumoured to have added these after the fact, but I cannot attest to this.

Using the supplied USB recovery key is the recommended way to completely reinstall Windows 8 (not 8.1). You will then have to install all the updates for Windows 8 before installing Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store, and then installing all the updates for 8.1 before installing the Windows 8.1 Update. Watching paint dry is more fun, but there is little choice, unless you have a licenced copy of Windows 8.1 install media to hand.
I had few doubts and replied:

Hello,

Thank you for quick reply.
About the hardware lack... I don't know. Had to buy the parts, open the unit and attempt.
Maybe selling it as is, might be the better option. I really miss mobile broadband. The pen doesn't bother me.

About the win8 install. Yes I have a media drive (usb) with windows 8.1 pro, and I am using it.
However, if I start a normal install (going thru bios, select usb, etc), will advance further to a point which I can't choose or change any of storage options (where you would normally choose the drive, format or upgrade, etc).

Thank you for your help

Hi all,

Well I found the hardware service manual but no part numbers :smileysad:

I would need the Ericsson C5621 wwan, the cables, and antenna?
Where could I find the part number of these parts? 

Sorry if this is not correct place for these questions.

Regards to all. Thanks
Sorry for all the quoting, but was easier then rewrite everything and explain everything all over again.

Thank you

Drug_Store

Re: TPT2 couple of questions

#2 Post by Drug_Store » Mon May 05, 2014 8:52 am

Anyone?

Two seperated questions.

How to install from USB/media windows 8.1 pro clean. letting me format completly the internal memory and clean install.

And about the upgrade, would Ericsson C5621 wwan, the cables, and antenna, be enough?

Thank you