Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Rather interesting TP Tablet Discovery

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Rather interesting TP Tablet Discovery

#1 Post by schen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:24 pm

I don't know if anyone else has already come up with this or I'm just random and think differently, but something odd just occurred to me. So I tried it. I was needing a USB keyboard for a Dell desktop that I'm working on for a friend, and I realized that it didn't have any PS/2 ports and I don't have a USB keyboard.... or rather thought I didn't. I was getting frustrated with my PS/2 to USB adapter because it was flaky and was racking my brain for a solution (included trying to use the Logitech DiNovo Mini: not recommended solution).

Then it occurred to my that my ThinkPad Tablet's Keyboard/Folio has a USB interface! So, one USB extension later...... TaDa...... instant USB keyboard with onboard pointer! Not a good onboard pointer mind you with that optical trackpoint, but hey, it's FREE! So I just folded the cover back over on itself and instant compact keyboard/mouse combo!

My contribution to world peace for today. :wink:
Family Daily Drivers- T450s, T540p
Work- Sadly, the ThinkPads have gone away...... and replaced by HP Chromebox drone machines :(
ThinkPad Projects- T530, T400, R60, Z60t
Historic Retired ThinkPads- Z61m (Titanium), X20, A31p, 701c, 760XD, WorkPad C505, C500 :bow:

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: Rather interesting TP Tablet Discovery

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 am

I tried the same thing some months ago and it worked just fine as you said yours also did..
i was using it on a thinkpad tablet 2 and the folio was for my thinkpad android tablet..
they i got 3 thinkpad trackpoint keyboards from Lenovo and used one of those.. also a Bluetooth keyboard works well except that it is a cheapo BT keyboard ($10 delivered)..

hope you are well..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rather interesting TP Tablet Discovery

#3 Post by schen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:40 pm

I really like that keyboard, but after 2 years of having it, I'll have to admit that I never use it, although I use the Android ThinkPad Tablet on a regular basis. It's nice that they are cheap and easy to find though. The folio cover on the other hand has been nigh on impossible to find at all!
Family Daily Drivers- T450s, T540p
Work- Sadly, the ThinkPads have gone away...... and replaced by HP Chromebox drone machines :(
ThinkPad Projects- T530, T400, R60, Z60t
Historic Retired ThinkPads- Z61m (Titanium), X20, A31p, 701c, 760XD, WorkPad C505, C500 :bow: