Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Which to buy to watch videos?

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
D L Davis

Which to buy to watch videos?

#1 Post by D L Davis » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:50 pm

I posted this in the general section, but received no response. I guess I posted it in the wrong place.

Am thinking of buying an inexpensive ($400 or under) Lenovo tablet (not phone) with touch screen simply to watch how-to videos on youtube and to watch continuing education videos from home via my wireless router. I'd prefer windows 7, not 10 or chrome. I'd also want it to accept sdram cards. It doesn't have to have a cdrom, as I have a usb one. Recommendations?

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Which to buy to watch videos?

#2 Post by Puppy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:03 am

Windows 7 is terrible choice on a touch screen device (almost similar to Windows 8.1 on a PC device). I would recommend 8.1 as a "sweet spot" especially for smaller tablets otherwise there is nothing wrong with Windows 10, if preinstalled on the device. ThinkPad brand tablets are dead, there is ThinkPad 10 tablet 2nd Gen edition but it is just terribly overpriced average tablet, nothing more.

All Lenovo (and other vendors) consumer tablets (Miix and Yoga) have issues because there is no longer any quality control and no testing (and no support). Typical issues are that wireless devices stops working after wakeup from sleep mode and so on. The reason is pending bugs in BIOS and drivers because nobody has ever tested these devices before the release. Sometimes an update (if Lenovo bothers) helps but it is better to check issues in Lenovo forums for particular selected model before the purchase (there is famous Yoga 2 10 tablet wake up issue Lenovo has never resolved).

Depending on your display size preference, Miix tablets (or rather 2-in-1 with detachable keyboard) seems to be a good option.

I am not sure whether the USB port on tablet can deliver power for an external CD ROM. It is a bit awkward setup these days :wink:
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13