Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad tablet dock disconnects when connected to power

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
QWERTY Andreas

Thinkpad tablet dock disconnects when connected to power

#1 Post by QWERTY Andreas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:44 am

Hi

I just acquired a (used) Thinkpad tablet dock, for my helix 2.

However, it disconnects everything when i connect a power plug - USB, HDMI etc. It doesn't matter if the power plug is connected to power - its simply plugging it in the dock, that causes this.

I can charge the tablet with power connected - but i simply cannot get everything connected simultaneously.

I have tried with both the Helix 2, and a thinkpad tablet 10.

Any suggestions on what migth be wrong?

EDIT: Fixed it with a new charger.
Thinkpad Helix 2
Custom build ITX desktop (i5 4590, 8GB RAM, GTX 1050Ti, custom watercooling)
Thinkpad 8, Thinkpad W500, Thinkpad T61F 14" (2.53 GHz QX9300, 6 GB RAM, Quadro FX570m 256 MB), GPD win

FS: T61F

denton

Re: Thinkpad tablet dock disconnects when connected to power

#2 Post by denton » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 pm

I have a followup to this thread - as it gave me the clue to figure out what was wrong with my dock.

I have a Thinkpad Tablet 10 Gen 2 that wouldn't see any of the ports in a dock, so I returned and got a new dock - which still didn't work. I assumed than that my tablet had a problem, and ended up finding another tablet to try - with still no luck using any of the USB ports, Ethernet, audio or HDMI. Power would go through and charge the tablet though. I tried replacing drivers, reloading the chipset driver, reloading Windows 10 - no luck.

After seeing this thread - I grabbed a 90W power supply I had laying around, and everything worked! Based on that, I would say that the 45W power supply is not powerful enough for the Gen 2 tablet and dock together - since it didn't work with 2 different docks, power supplies and tablets combined.

Hopefully someone finds this information helpful.
T60p UXGA | A31p UXGA |Z61p | W500 | W510 | W520 | W530 | W701 | X201s
Previously T40,T30,240X,770Z, A21p,A20m,365ED,701C ...