Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Latest/ last Gen of CPUs Chipsets (Mobile, Desktop/ Workstation) from Intel AMD still support & can run Win 8.1?

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Latest/ last Gen of CPUs Chipsets (Mobile, Desktop/ Workstation) from Intel AMD still support & can run Win 8.1?

#1 Post by crashnburn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:58 pm

What are the latest/ last Gen of CPUs Chipsets (Mobile, Desktop/ Workstation) from Intel AMD still support & can run Windows 8.1? officially or with some tweaks? With MS & OEMs not crippling it to push Win 10?

Currently and will continue using Win 8.1 as long as possible. Hate Win 10 but will run a side instance VHD for tiny things once in a while.

What are the best Laptops / Desktops I could look into?

PS: Might look at getting an SFF PC used if possible.
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Latest/ last Gen of CPUs Chipsets (Mobile, Desktop/ Workstation) from Intel AMD still support & can run Win 8.1?

#2 Post by dr_st » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:46 am

Pretty sure anything out there can still run Win8.1 "with some tweaks". The CPU is never the issue. Drivers for chipset-integrated components might be. For instance, Intel integrated LAN past a certain revision only has Win10 drivers, but even these can be "hacked" via simple INF changes to work on Win8.1.

Officially - I have no idea. I see very little reason to stay on Win8.1. It is a transitional system, that does not offer the same consistent desktop experience as Win7, but on the other hand it is less capable in general than Win10.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

karl80038

Re: Latest/ last Gen of CPUs Chipsets (Mobile, Desktop/ Workstation) from Intel AMD still support & can run Win 8.1?

#3 Post by karl80038 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:45 pm

Sorry for the late reply and bumping, but the latest Intel-based ThinkPads that are officially tested and supported for use with Windows 7/8.1 by Lenovo are the Skylake-era laptops like the L460, T460, X260, X1 Gen4. The ThinkPad A275 and the ThinkPad A475 are the latest AMD-based ThinkPads that have Lenovo's official support for pre-Win10 operating systems.

mikemex

#4 Post by mikemex » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:48 am

karl80038 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:45 pm
the latest Intel-based ThinkPads that are officially tested and supported for use with Windows 7/8.1 by Lenovo are the Skylake-era laptops like the L460, T460, X260, X1 Gen4.
Skylake may be old and underpowered by today standards, but it's so special because it's the only intel generation to support almost all Windows versions (Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10 and even Windows 11). Older than that and it won't run Windows 11 and newer won't do Windows 7. And I like the X1C4 in particular because it runs very cool and quiet, it has a traditional charging port (I hate being forced to use USB-C Power Delivery), it uses dual pivot hinges, etc (too bad it's so darn expensive to maintain; many parts cost a small fortune).

About Power Delivery, I'm not opposed to it per se, but to the unnecesary miniaturization. In a phone there is no room for anything but USB-C, but a laptop should have a similar connector just physically larger. A normal size USB port in USB-C shape (let's call it "USB-D") is what the computing world really needed, not USB-C.
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C5: 7600U | 16GB | 1TB | FHD
X1C9: 1145G7 | 16GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
P14s G1 AMD: 4750U | 32GB | 1TB | PG FHD Touch
T14 G2: 1145G7 | 32GB | 1TB | FHD

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by dr_st » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:54 am

mikemex wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:48 am
About Power Delivery, I'm not opposed to it per se, but to the unnecesary miniaturization. In a phone there is no room for anything but USB-C, but a laptop should have a similar connector just physically larger. A normal size USB port in USB-C shape (let's call it "USB-D") is what the computing world really needed, not USB-C.
So you propose to replace unnecessary miniaturization with unnecessary size expansion? Why? There already is a standardized, functional port. Why would you create a new one that is the same but takes more space? Drawbacks are immediately obvious (for instance, you cannot share chargers and peripherals between your PC, tablet and phone, without some adapters). What is the gain?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

micrex22

#6 Post by micrex22 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 am

dr_st wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:46 am
Officially - I have no idea. I see very little reason to stay on Win8.1. It is a transitional system, that does not offer the same consistent desktop experience as Win7, but on the other hand it is less capable in general than Win10.
For many, Windows 8.1 is the final last holdout for application compatibility that may not be present on 7, but the desire to have less of the problems associated with Windows 10 (along with much less and easier to control spyware). And unlike the latest Windows 10 builds, you can still disable things like Windows Defender (unless you're running 10 LTSC which can still facilitate that but most who run 10, don't).

Windows 10 and 11 are so inconsistent that they still implement various Windows 8 'metro' UI popups and stuff; so from Windows 8 and onward, all versions of Windows are therefore inconsistent.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by dr_st » Tue May 10, 2022 1:52 am

micrex22 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 am
For many, Windows 8.1 is the final last holdout for application compatibility that may not be present on 7, but the desire to have less of the problems associated with Windows 10 (along with much less and easier to control spyware). And unlike the latest Windows 10 builds, you can still disable things like Windows Defender (unless you're running 10 LTSC which can still facilitate that but most who run 10, don't).
This is all very theoretical. In a practical sense, I am not aware of any workflows where 8.1 fits the bill better than 10, or 7, depending on the flow. Although (again, theoretically) there may be combinations of workflows where 8.1 can fit the bill, which would otherwise require you to run 7, and 10, as separate installations.

And many (not all) of the problems "associated with Windows 10" are just that - they are "associated" in people's heads.

micrex22

#8 Post by micrex22 » Tue May 10, 2022 3:26 am

dr_st wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:52 am
micrex22 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 am
This is all very theoretical. In a practical sense, I am not aware of any workflows where 8.1 fits the bill better than 10, or 7, depending on the flow. Although (again, theoretically) there may be combinations of workflows where 8.1 can fit the bill, which would otherwise require you to run 7, and 10, as separate installations.

And many (not all) of the problems "associated with Windows 10" are just that - they are "associated" in people's heads.
I'm just providing you the answer why some people still run Windows 8.1, not necessarily a debate.

Well, there are very real problems exclusive with Windows 10 that have nothing to do with peoples' heads; but some of them are also technical which is why normal people are simply misinformed or unaware as to why the problems they're having, are happening:
  • Lack of UI customization (the default 'dark' theme is horrible for old people and persons of visual disability, not to mention Windows 10 and 11 do not have a consistent dark mode)
  • Inability to disable Windows Defender in later builds (unless you're a power user running a neutered 10 LTSC install)
  • Inability to disable automatic updates (safely, anyways)
  • The fact Windows 10 must phone home to Microsoft first, before you can search local files on your PC
  • The inability to completely stop all data collection (even setting DWORD to 0 for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection, means you're still sending "security" data): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... dbcfe5e790 | I would like to add that Windows 8.1 is a little bit worse in this regard because even when you opt out of customer telemetry data it will still send stuff through (and thus you must block it in a much more complicated way)
  • The fact that all of the wsappx family of services send telemtry (AppXSVC / ClipSVC / WSService), you'd have to disable them
  • The fact DiagTrack/dmwappushservice can't be disabled from an interface for a normal user and are otherwise always sending data through
  • The fact "Hybrid Boot" is enabled by default as a cheap work-around for Windows PCs to seemingly run faster, but causes a lot of detriment in the end as applications are always in RAM and rarely refresh themselves or Windows itself, leading to many service calls and problems even for home users
It just goes on and on, and the amount of graphical issues in Windows 10 (which far exceed anything I've had in Windows 8.1) along with straight up ridiculous errors due to poor testing and quality assurance. Of course the largest excuse someone may have is "if I don't have any issues with it, there are no problems" which is a very broad brush to paint and not conclusive to the many problems occurring in businesses and with private individuals.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by dr_st » Tue May 10, 2022 5:54 am

I haven't researched each and every one of those topics, but I trust you that they are accurate. The biggest one of course is telemetry, which is what I call "in people's heads". Telemetry is not the same thing as private data collection, but people tend to think of them as the same thing. That is wrong. Also I suppose not all of these telemetry things are Win10-exclusive.

Automatic updates can only be disabled in Win10 Pro, that's correct. I advise against Win10 Home for this very reason.

What is the workflow that requires people to disable Windows Defender?

Hybrid Boot, a.k.a. Fast Startup is enabled by default since Windows 8.

micrex22

#10 Post by micrex22 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:13 pm

dr_st wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:54 am
I haven't researched each and every one of those topics, but I trust you that they are accurate. The biggest one of course is telemetry, which is what I call "in people's heads". Telemetry is not the same thing as private data collection, but people tend to think of them as the same thing. That is wrong. Also I suppose not all of these telemetry things are Win10-exclusive.

Automatic updates can only be disabled in Win10 Pro, that's correct. I advise against Win10 Home for this very reason.

What is the workflow that requires people to disable Windows Defender?

Hybrid Boot, a.k.a. Fast Startup is enabled by default since Windows 8.
  • Yeah the telemetry is just statistics than actual data (Microsoft wouldn't have the bandwidth nor infrastructure to upload everyone's data of course -- unless they're syncing with onedrive but that's a paid-for service).
  • It's probably a misconception now that the telemetry is Windows 10-exlusive; Microsoft back-ported some of this to 7 as well, and portions of it like the CEIP stuff are found in 8.1 and it's just as aggressive. Turning CEIP off in Windows 8.1 doesn't actually turn it off and it will continue to send data if you analyze the network traffic.
  • Latest builds of Windows 10 it's not possible to disable Windows Defender AFAIK, but in builds that it is, I just save this as a .REG and run it so I don't have to touch the registry manually which I loathe doing:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
    "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
  • Yeah looks like it is enabled by default on 8.1 too, I guess it doesn't come up as often as an issue on 8.1 due to the fact far fewer people run it and it seems to be more stable with hybrid boot. I just use a .REG to run and change it as well (there are in fact five .REG keys I run on a clean personal install of every Windows 8.1/10 install).

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by dr_st » Wed May 11, 2022 3:56 pm

There is some conflicting info online. Some say the key no longer works, some say it still works, and some say that it does not work but you can manually disable Defender through the UI.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... -registry/

Why would you want to disable it, though?

micrex22

#12 Post by micrex22 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:03 pm

dr_st wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:56 pm
There is some conflicting info online. Some say the key no longer works, some say it still works, and some say that it does not work but you can manually disable Defender through the UI.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... -registry/

Why would you want to disable it, though?
It can cause major CPU usage leaks (I would always hear the fans on my various lenovo machines ramp up hard when Defender starting eating 80%+ of the CPU), and doesn't 'defend' you at all as a power user; there's more than enough videos and demonstrations showing how inadequate the product is. It also sends telemetry; which some are fine with, but I am not.

Windows Defender and Windows Update (wuauserv) are notorious problems for crippling CPUs under Windows 10. Even on Windows 7 there was that bugged out update that caused a long CPU usage leak but it was even worse than the usual usage on Windows 10 itself.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by dr_st » Thu May 12, 2022 1:09 am

For every security product you can find more than enough videos and demonstrations showing how inadequate it is. In recent years, Windows Defender seems to have actually improved, while the third-party software - well, probably also, but not in a way that's relevant to end-users.

On Win10, I see no reason for an end-user to replace Windows Defender with a third-party product. However, if this is the end-goal, then there is no need to disable it via the registry, as it disables itself automatically when a different protection system is active.

If your goal is to disable it completely and work without any real-time protection - then, to each his own, I guess. I can understand the CPU usage issues, although I have not experienced Defender being a major violator on any of my systems. Maybe it is because they are all sufficiently powerful (that is a consequence of my long-standing recommendation to always install contemporary versions of Windows on any hardware), but even on under-powered system, I would expect other components (indeed, WU is one of them) to start crippling the CPU/drive way before Defender does.