Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T400 & Windows 8

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
Mighty_Mauz

Re: T400 & Windows 8

#61 Post by Mighty_Mauz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 am

My pc stutters as I am doing other tasks (most notably in stuttering music, but also the mouse seems less responsive): e.g. when I open a new web page, open an app, or do a search. I don't know where to start looking.

I have all latest updates installed, switching graphics is working as laid out in this thread and I am using itunes and chrome for respectively music and internet.
R60 9461DXG
T400 2764CTO
X200s 7470-CR9
X220T 4298-R45

Randle

#62 Post by Randle » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:59 am

okay, I'm confused. I've done a bunch of searching around, but still cannot seem to get the following working on my T500 (2081CTO)
  • fingerprint sensor (cannot find working driver)
    Have two Base System Device Entries
    One PCI Simple Communications Controller
I'm also not sure of the advantage of the Thinkpad Power Manager being installed? the catalyst control centre seems to manage switchable graphics okay...

Is there anything else I should be installing to help my t500 run W8 optimally?

Randle

#63 Post by Randle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Okay - so lots more searching and I found the following, but still have questions:

How do I fix the PCI Simple Communications Manager missing driver?

I'm also not sure of the advantage of the Thinkpad Power Manager being installed? the catalyst control centre seems to manage switchable graphics okay... Is there anything else I should be installing to help my t500 run W8 optimally?

Drivers I used on my 2081CTO T500:
Fingerprint driver can be found here
http://support.authentec.com/DesktopMod ... TabId=1019
Fingerprint software is here
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc ... f813ww.exe
Ricoh Card Reader (Base Device) is here
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc ... ss73ww.exe
ATI Catalyst Driver was here
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/amd_ ... y_win8.exe

Jakoob

#64 Post by Jakoob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:13 pm

"Fingerprint software works if installed with W7 compatibility"

I installed version 3.3.2.50 and still getting "can't communicate with senzor". What kind of version of driver and software you have?

Thanks

Randle

#65 Post by Randle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm

When installing you need to make sure you use compatibility mode (properties - run as windows 7) in administrator mode. I recall I had to open a command window as administrator. If the file I linked doesn't work I have no idea

Jakoob

#66 Post by Jakoob » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:53 am

I'm bit confused now, because there are actually two Fingerprint softwares from Lenovo:

1) Fingerprint Software for Windows 8 (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... D=DS029769)

2) Lenovo Fingerprint Software for Windows 7 (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... D=DS012806)

For now I'm able to run just the first one, but it seems buggy (many times cannot recognize the reader) and strangely doesn't show me the option for power-on fingerprint. However the second one offers to use fingerprint while starting the PC, yet showing almost legendary note "cannot communicate with the sensor..."

Lenovo Fingerprint Software for Windows 7 (64-bit) in version 3.3.2.50 installs this driver on my PC http://oi44.tinypic.com/rss87a.jpg Does anyone have a different one?

Thanks

Randle

#67 Post by Randle » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:03 am

Look at my post above and download the authentec drive which works perfectly

Speez

#68 Post by Speez » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:44 pm

SO....I really need to save up and buy an up to date desktop. But since I don't have the money at the moment, and my old W500 is still doing the trick for the little bit of work I do with it at the moment, I decided to try installing Windows 10 Preview on it after a boot error with windows 8 made me have to start over. Well I can say that the method above amazing still worked and I got the V5700 to work correctly.

GondilO

#69 Post by GondilO » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:53 am

Hello guys, I decided to write here rather than creating new topic. I have great problem with Win8.1 Pro 64bit From MSDNAA on my T400. I'm frustrated of it. I know that T400 is no more supported but I think there should be way that it will work properly with Win8.1.
What is problem is that my system sometimes does not boot correctly. See this video. My system boots but there is blank screen where I can see only mouse cursor, blank panel on right side when I press Win+P and Sticky keys window when I press 5x Shift.

I don't know what cause this I tried almost everything. I set updates to automatic, I turn updates totally off (also hardware), I tried Win8. I don't know what to do. I love this machine, it is perfect for me I upgraded it and it have perfect performance, I also like Win8.1.
What is worse I'm IT student and I really need stable system. And what is much more worse I'm crazy because everytime something goes wrong I must to fix it and let it work and for my laptop my craziness hold few times more. I just don't want to get rid of my perfect working laptop. I just don't know what is wrong with it.

And when this problem appears? It's hard to determine. Yesterday I use command shutdown -s -t [some time in seconds], boot again and it occurs. few days ago I selected restart instead of shutdown and it not boot correctly. Yesterday when it occurs, I entered BIOS and I turned everything off (disable). Does not helped me but when I turned everything to state like before It worked again fine.
Please help me somebody.

kitor
Freshman Member

#70 Post by kitor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:00 am

Intel or Radeon?

GondilO

#71 Post by GondilO » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:37 pm

kitor wrote:Intel or Radeon?
Intel is integrated and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 is Dedicated.
For now, I installed Win7 and it is working just perfect, Anyway If anybody knows how to solve problem with Win8 it would be perfect.

kitor
Freshman Member

#72 Post by kitor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:55 am

8.1 won't work with switchable graphics. You need to select one by hand in bios.
Switchable driver makes BSODs after first reboot and until you remove it. No one found a solution yet.

8.0 can be made to work with this, search forums, there was a thread with all requirements listed.

Mine had random "hang" issue while using Radeon. Could work 2 months without issue, and then got many hangs in short period, later again looong time without issue. Never found where problem was.

GondilO

#73 Post by GondilO » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:15 am

kitor wrote:8.1 won't work with switchable graphics. You need to select one by hand in bios.
Switchable driver makes BSODs after first reboot and until you remove it. No one found a solution yet.
Also tried that but does not helped me. When I choose one of graphics in BIOS it didn't boot correctly as I described. What is strange, you said that for you it makes BSOD, for me there was problems in boot no BSODs. I definitely returned to Win7 and have no problems.