Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[FIXED] x61t and windows 8 tablet buttons now working

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
Nofe92

[FIXED] x61t and windows 8 tablet buttons now working

#1 Post by Nofe92 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 am

[UPDATE] Read 3rd post for solution!

Hi guys!

I need help, I'm getting crazy here. I just got an ssd and decided to upgrade my x61t to windows 8 for several reasons.

I discovered that if I upgrade from win 7 everything works but the tablet buttons don't. The funny thing is that when I tried to install win8 on the old hhd win7 installation they worked! But when I tried again win7->win8 they didn't. So it might be something that the new installation missed.

For some reason while I was looking for a solution the tab "buttons" appeared in tablet pc settings. It was showing all the settings for the buttons in every rotation but of course I couldn't test it because there was no input to the os. It was showing that it's up to "wstbtnrb.dll" to send the signal to the program. So what's making that dll not working as it should? The exe is "wstbtnsb". I don't have this menu anymore after reinstalling some drivers and I'm not sure if the menu is part of the x61t's drivers or the ones from later tablets models

Is there a way to make the driver work properly? The thing is that they can work with no issue on win8, so what are the dependencies? It's not .net or visual c++. Any idea? Any suggestion to make my thinkpad work at 100%? Any methods to find the source of these kind of issues? This is the only issue I have and I really need to fix it! I use this thing for school!
Thanks for your time and help!
Last edited by Nofe92 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: x61t and windows 8 tablet buttons issue

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:58 am

I never got the tablet buttons working on my X61T so I switched back to Win 7 and installed Win 8 on a T61 instead.

Nofe92

Re: x61t and windows 8 tablet buttons issue

#3 Post by Nofe92 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Cigarguy wrote:I never got the tablet buttons working on my X61T so I switched back to Win 7 and installed Win 8 on a T61 instead.
ahahahahhaha
I just found the solution xD It's so darn stupid that it makes me feel stupid! All you need to do is to open the driver folder (default directory "C:\DRIVERS\WIN\UNAVUTIL") then right click on "wstbtnib.inf" and press Install and restart. That's it! It looks like the setup can't do it by it self under windows 8.
I can't believe nobody never tried it! I saw guides on guides about remapping and stuff. They just work now! (I restarted multiple times and played with it a little, all works).

Btw now that every single thing works on my x61t, what's the best program for fingerprint? I just need it for windows log in and with that driver version you can't use windows native program ([censored]!!). Is the lenovo password thing light? And can I delete it after fingers scanning?
Thx again!

thinkpadrobert

Re: [FIXED] x61t and windows 8 tablet buttons now working

#4 Post by thinkpadrobert » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Thank you!!!

I managed to get the buttons when I in-place upgraded from 7->8->8.1 32 bit, but an attempt to do the same on a brand new 64-bit install didn't work. Now everything is working again. Also, I recommend downloading the widcomm drivers for the Bluetooth from the Broadcom website. They're much more functional that the native win8 stack.

Nofe92

#5 Post by Nofe92 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:12 am

thinkpadrobert wrote:Thank you!!!

I managed to get the buttons when I in-place upgraded from 7->8->8.1 32 bit, but an attempt to do the same on a brand new 64-bit install didn't work. Now everything is working again. Also, I recommend downloading the widcomm drivers for the Bluetooth from the Broadcom website. They're much more functional that the native win8 stack.
Thank for the info

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by crashnburn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks for sharing guys. I intend to go from Win 7 SP1 Ult x61 to Win 8 Pro x 64..

1. I am told the in place upgrade has to go from 7 > 8 > 8.1 and cant skip 8.
So, I was surprised to see this recently, which shows otherwise.. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-1-upgrade-paths - Is this incorrect or has something change in the meantime.

2. Are you happier with Win 8/ 8.1 on your X61T/ other machines? I read around for comparisons and generally people are saying Win 8 consumes lesser RAM and is faster.. I will classic shell it anyways, for old school look, so wondering what annoyances/ benefits you experienced / enjoyed?

3. Did you uninstall / reinstall some drivers? The only one I see being an issue as per the upgrade utility is the Auto Scroll and apparently, its part of Hot Key package, which will have to be uninstalled, as suggested here.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=115151

Did you guys do the same? Thoughts / Experiences?

4. How much EMPTY space do you recommend keeping on the Disk as on 256G SSD I have only about 20 G open at the moment? Minimum/ recommended/ maximum before I do an inplace upgrade?
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)

Nofe92

#7 Post by Nofe92 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:22 pm

crashnburn wrote:

Thanks for sharing guys. I intend to go from Win 7 SP1 Ult x61 to Win 8 Pro x 64..

1. I am told the in place upgrade has to go from 7 > 8 > 8.1 and cant skip 8.
So, I was surprised to see this recently, which shows otherwise.. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-1-upgrade-paths - Is this incorrect or has something change in the meantime.

2. Are you happier with Win 8/ 8.1 on your X61T/ other machines? I read around for comparisons and generally people are saying Win 8 consumes lesser RAM and is faster.. I will classic shell it anyways, for old school look, so wondering what annoyances/ benefits you experienced / enjoyed?

3. Did you uninstall / reinstall some drivers? The only one I see being an issue as per the upgrade utility is the Auto Scroll and apparently, its part of Hot Key package, which will have to be uninstalled, as suggested here.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=115151

Did you guys do the same? Thoughts / Experiences?

4. How much EMPTY space do you recommend keeping on the Disk as on 256G SSD I have only about 20 G open at the moment? Minimum/ recommended/ maximum before I do an inplace upgrade?
1. My best suggestion is to get the media creation tool and create an usb installation (i only have an italian link: http://windows.microsoft.com/it-it/wind ... resh-media)

2. That's kind of an hard question. I use win 7, win 8 and win 10 on a daily basis and I still have to find a real reason to upgrade my desktop to 8 or 10 (i7-32gb-gtx670).
Now, on the thinkpad, 8 is quite snappy and the boot time is impressive. Everything pretty much works but the wireless has some issues. You need to disable its power manager to make it work after a standby but even then you will have completely random blue screens. Trust me, there's no way to predict crashes and you might have one every 6 months or 2 in a week.
It's a bummer but you can easily live with it, as I said it rarely crashes, it's just unpredictable.
As for the system interface itself I don't really see anything better compare to win 7, for our model with no touch screen metro apps and the start menu are quite uncomfortable.
Having said all that, am I going back to 7? Nope. Am I unsatisfied with 8? Nope. Would I upgrade if it had 7? Not sure...
I think you should only update to 8 if you need any specific features or you really want a slightly snappier OS. Keep in mind that you will have to cope with little issues here and there that will not ruin your experience but will definitely make it a little less fluid compare to 7 (like how input field detection is not present on 8, so you manually have to open the on screen keyboard)

3. I don't remember every single driver but I guess you just have to see what's missing. Just remember to install the button drivers from the inf file as well or it wont work. Oh if all your sensors are working as expected you can even install the drive shock prevention drivers to enable the auto rotation (just disable the actuall protection for any ssd)

4. I think win should always have a least 5 gb free at any time and i don't think it's worth investing on this old laptop

I hope I was helpful

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by crashnburn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 am

Very helpful :) Thank you very much. Now to clear some space out to do the install.

I was wondering about one thing.

When we do an in place Win 7 > 8 upgrade and we get Windows & Windows.old (which can later be deleted if no issues found).. Does it allow us to:
- Dual Boot between Win 7 (old) and Win 8?
- Rollback/ Uninstall to Win 7 if Win 8 is not likeable/ unstable/ faulty? - What can you do/ if anything to rollback?
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)

Nofe92

#9 Post by Nofe92 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:35 pm

crashnburn wrote:Very helpful :) Thank you very much. Now to clear some space out to do the install.

I was wondering about one thing.

When we do an in place Win 7 > 8 upgrade and we get Windows & Windows.old (which can later be deleted if no issues found).. Does it allow us to:
- Dual Boot between Win 7 (old) and Win 8?
- Rollback/ Uninstall to Win 7 if Win 8 is not likeable/ unstable/ faulty? - What can you do/ if anything to rollback?
When you update you get the old but no dual bot or rollback afaik
My thinkpad with 8 says hi!
http://i.imgur.com/BsMTI4F.jpg NOTE: 1.6MB image

Mod edit: Large image converted to link. Please read forum rules regarding image sizes. Thank you.