Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Classic theme on Windows 8

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

Re: Classic theme on Windows 8

#481 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:45 am

I say if we're going to make the project this big, not including support for visual styles would be silly.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#482 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:31 pm

bugmn wrote:Splitwirez, I'm sorry that I was slow to make my reply complete, as I'm on Android and it's buggy xD I've added more information, and it's complete now ^-^~
Oh.

I agree with what you said.
windows.nt.win32 wrote:I say if we're going to make the project this big, not including support for visual styles would be silly.
YUS

WOOOOOO

TANKS M87 O3O

NAOW I CAN FINALLY MAKE MY PLEXCELLENT VISUAL STYLE LOOK AS PLANNED, INSTEAD OF LIKE DIS:
http://img13.deviantart.net/695c/i/2016 ... 9phw88.png

*ahem* sorry.

Also I am currently fighting the urge to draw some kind of Classic Cortana. I apologize in advance, but that may not be restricted to the UI... ;V;

maur0

#483 Post by maur0 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:17 pm

whats is this
https://kat.cr/windows-10-taskbar-butto ... 41124.html

taskbar manipulator? is util for change theme to using classic theme in windows 10

other

https://kat.cr/windows-10-7-tweaker-mak ... 41172.html

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#484 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:34 am

maur0 wrote:taskbar manipulator
Smells fishy. I'll try it in my VM this weekend.

Also...if this project gets as big as we've been discussing...will it be available for Windows 7 and/or 8 as well?

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#485 Post by Powerplayer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:51 am

maur0 wrote:whats is this
https://kat.cr/windows-10-taskbar-butto ... 41124.html

taskbar manipulator? is util for change theme to using classic theme in windows 10

other

https://kat.cr/windows-10-7-tweaker-mak ... 41172.html

The torrents do not download can you post those files to another side?

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#486 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:27 am

Well I certainly wouldn't want to isolate Windows 7 users. Windows 7 Ultimate is currently my primary OS, and I plan to test Win8/10 in a VM or something. I already have a dual-boot with Linux Mint, and I don't want to install too many OSes (at least not on this computer). However, I've been pretty busy with school/work to do any testing, and I don't think I'll be able to contribute any programming any time soon.

As for the torrents, they don't have any seeders, and 2 leachers, so they're not going to download. If you find the files anywhere else, I'd recommend doing a VirusTotal scan on them.

EDIT:
I found a torrent with seeders. This one should work:
http://www.seedpeer.eu/details/10751881 ... lator.html

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#487 Post by Powerplayer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 am

windows.nt.win32 wrote: I found a torrent with seeders. This one should work:
It is only a dll file nothing about how to run it :(

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#488 Post by crashnburn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:35 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Hello everyone. I must aploligize for my inactivity lately, but I'll fill you guys in on why I haven't been posting as much. My hard drive recently died, so I had to get a replacment. Since I'm having trouble installing Windows on here, I've been running Linux Mint for the past month or so. While my plan is to install Windows 7 on here, I still want to be involved in this project. I'll look into possibly tripple-botting Windows 7, Windows 10, and Linux on this machine so I can still test stuff. At the very least, I'd like to run a Windows 10 VM when I'm able (which is what I'll probably end up doing, tbh).

I've also started school, and as I mentioned before I'm taking an introduction to programming class. But don't expect me to be able to develop for this project anytime soon, as I am only learning things now, and we are learning Python. In case you don't know, Python is a good starting/learning language, but it seems to be much more Linux-friendly. My plan is to eventually learn C++, and then I'll look into developing for this once I get some experience.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about myself. I just thought I'd let everyone know what I've been up to lately.

Now to get back on topic. I have done a little bit of messing around with OpenNT, and I even installed it in a virtual machine once. It's pretty functional, although its shell is still identical to NT4's shell. It would require a lot of work to impliment modern Windows features into it.
- Look up Native Boot VHDs - Make your job easier without multi boot partitions
- Programming C/ C++ and any other lang like python for rest of your life - Try this and you will love it. http://vijaymukhi.com/online.html
- Put stuff on Git, so people can contribute/ share to the project.
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#489 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:24 am

Powerplayer wrote:
windows.nt.win32 wrote: I found a torrent with seeders. This one should work:
It is only a dll file nothing about how to run it :(
Okay, if that one works, I have some ideas... C:

My god, the things you learn from Windows Longhorn... :lol:

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#490 Post by Powerplayer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:25 am

Splitwirez wrote: Okay, if that one works, I have some ideas... C:

Well taskbarmanipulator the exe does still not download and these torrent sites downloads are broken cause no seeders . can somebody put on mega or something?

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#491 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:04 pm

Do we even know for sure what exactly this taskbarmanipulator program does? Or are we just trying to download it and hoping that it has potential to make the taskbar more functional?

maur0

#492 Post by maur0 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:43 am

Splitwirez wrote:
adamantine wrote:several posts above Anixx provided a screen-shot. in my opinion, it is thoroughly better than what we have in the default win-10

and i would really like to know if it is possible to implement that design into win-10. personally, i'm ready to do it in case a detailed explanation on how to achive this appears
The only obvious difference I can actually understand is the Taskbar. Everything else looks normal, except those Explorer Windows (that's explorer, correct?), which I can see are different (if they are Explorer Windows, that is), but I don't really understand what's there...likely due to language ._.

EDIT: BTW here's something for anyone here who prefers Google Chrome: http://www.askvg.com/tip-add-an-option- ... le-chrome/

It's still weird, but it's more usable than the alternative P:

MOAR EDIT: Also, a login screen concept:
http://i.imgur.com/iY4KG2ql.png

EVEN MOAR EDIT: Currently downloading Windows 10 build 9879, which I believe was the last build to feature the old, skinnable taskbar. Fingers crossed that still includes Classic Theme compliance. It was a fight to find working links, so if anyone else wants the build, you can get both x86 and x64 versions here: http://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-buil ... so-images/

I'll link to just the explorer (and any dependancies) if I can download either ISO through this crappy network connection ._.

test if explorer.exe extract from windows 2012 r2 (classic taskbar) if work windows 10 x64 i create .bat (start.bat) for easy process
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start explorer.exe

Download
http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/1KrhB7hC/file.html

another possibility test is use explorer.exe from windows 10 build 9879 in current last version windows 10

post your results if work or not (if work im install windows 10 in my pc :)

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#493 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:30 am

maur0 wrote:if work im install windows 10 in my pc :)
Don't ._.

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#494 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:49 pm

I wouldn't recommend Win10 if you can help it. I just tried the explorer.exe, and it doesn't work. I've already tried different versions of Explorer on Win10, and I've only ever gotten the default one to work. I don't think replacing explorer.exe is the best way to go about this.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#495 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:24 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:I wouldn't recommend Win10 if you can help it.
No-one should ever downgrade to Windows 10, and anyone unlucky enough to do so should go buy a better, older version of Windows while they still can. (Or, if it's too late, just install Windows 8 build 7850 and de-timebomb it.)
windows.nt.win32 wrote:I don't think replacing explorer.exe is the best way to go about this.
Thus I continue to recommend running an explorer.exe intended for taskbar purposes from "Documents", or some other location which isn't C:\WINDOWS , as this allows for compatibility mode to be used .-.

jumpjack

#496 Post by jumpjack » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:13 am

I screwed up my system by testing several versions of ClassicTheme.exe ... :-(
If i Install it, clock disappears from taskbar (and other "fancy" things...)
If i Uninstall it (but full uninstallation fails due to a memory write error), Windows Explorer does not work anymore! I can't open explorer windows! Both by double clicking folder icon in taskbar and using Win+E shortcut!
I didn't create a recovery point! :(

Please help!

jumpjack

#497 Post by jumpjack » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:03 am

jumpjack wrote: If i Uninstall it (but full uninstallation fails due to a memory write error)
It looks like Chrome being open prevented proper uninstallation, now I got uinstallation right.
But what about missing clock? Another "fancy" bug is PC Settings window not opening.

kensiko

#498 Post by kensiko » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:07 am

Splitwirez wrote:
windows.nt.win32 wrote:I wouldn't recommend Win10 if you can help it.
No-one should ever downgrade to Windows 10, and anyone unlucky enough to do so should go buy a better, older version of Windows while they still can. (Or, if it's too late, just install Windows 8 build 7850 and de-timebomb it.)
The problem with keeping old OS is that they are left by everyone after a while.

We have been on Windows XP at work and it was doing the job. But during the last year we were attacked twice by a CryptoWall virus, then we are facing more and more Software that do not support Windows XP anymore (ex: some VPN connections). We have been buying Windows 7 licenses for new PCs but all the others were left with XP.

I told my boss that financially, it was better to go directly to Windows 10 as it is new and will be supported longer than Windows 7 which is already reaching its end of life !

People have started using Windows 10 at work and there are a few things that cause problem but for most of things, it's pretty solid. The only thing I would like is the classic theme to be available, so that our applications that were made with XP look the same and do not need recoding (colors and interface).

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#499 Post by Powerplayer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:I wouldn't recommend Win10 if you can help it. I just tried the explorer.exe, and it doesn't work. I've already tried different versions of Explorer on Win10, and I've only ever gotten the default one to work. I don't think replacing explorer.exe is the best way to go about this.
that beta of windows 8 might be the answer but we have to replace everything in terms of gui files from the logon to boot from an external windows to go drive or on an external windows to go .
Then keep the files used copy them over with bat files on reinstall

jumpjack

#500 Post by jumpjack » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 am

What about existing "shell alternatives" for previous versions of Windows? Are all of them incompatible with W10? Does any of them include an "old style" interface?

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#501 Post by Powerplayer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:57 pm

jumpjack wrote:What about existing "shell alternatives" for previous versions of Windows? Are all of them incompatible with W10? Does any of them include an "old style" interface?
Reactos explorer is not playing well with windows at all , it forces that 1 colour metro overlay instead of desktop the one they screwed the bubbles screensaver with and if u open explorer.exe you still get the winefile filemanager instead of open explorer windows etc.
However i believe the files to be replaced from one windows to another are shcore.dll explorerframe.dll shdocvw.dll shell32.dll oleaut32.dll shgina.dll shellstyle.dll and their .mui counterparts correct me if i missed some

edit maybe reactos explorer new http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTg0OTA but i think directories need to be fixed somebody need to recompile a version of it for us classic enthusiasts to use 64 bit version would be most welcome too

Bakuchris

#502 Post by Bakuchris » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:23 am

I have been following this forum topic for so long and just registered a account.

I tried the classic theme on Windows 10 also and it breaks the task bar completely for myself when I play around in a virtual machine.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#503 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Bakuchris wrote:I tried the classic theme on Windows 10 also and it breaks the task bar completely for myself when I play around in a virtual machine.
Wait...does this mean the problem is worse in Ontario? :lol:

Bakuchris

#504 Post by Bakuchris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:55 am

Just the taskbar has problems, explorer won't launch but everything else works fine. Its not a big problem. :D

The Windows XP explorer runs really good, but you cannot add quick shortcuts to the bar. Vista is better with the icons near the clock part, and the ReactOS explorer is the best so far and runs great.

yankeesamurai

#505 Post by yankeesamurai » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:04 pm

I KNOW THIS IS OLDER POST, BUT IF YOU GOT WIN 8 AND YOU WANT CLASSIC WIN 7 LOOKS AND OPERATION JUST GOOGLE
LITTLE APP CALLED

CLASSIC SHELL

ITS AWESOME WORKS PERFECTLY, TURNS WIN 8 INTO 7 INSTANTLY.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#506 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Bakuchris wrote:Just the taskbar has problems, explorer won't launch but everything else works fine. Its not a big problem. :D
...oh.
Bakuchris wrote:The Windows XP explorer runs really good
Really? Huh, I found that it was quite fiddly to use...maybe I'm just too used to the superbar...
Bakuchris wrote:but you cannot add quick shortcuts to the bar.
Yeah, I noticed the XP Taskbar had trouble with toolbars :/
Bakuchris wrote:Vista is better with the icons near the clock part
Yeah, isn't that its only advantage over the XP explorer, though? .-.
Bakuchris wrote:ReactOS explorer is the best so far and runs great.
Wait what? When did that thing enter the picture? (Who am I kidding, I don't even know what ReactOS is >.< )
yankeesamurai wrote:I KNOW THIS IS OLDER POST, BUT IF YOU GOT WIN 8 AND YOU WANT CLASSIC WIN 7 LOOKS AND OPERATION JUST GOOGLE
LITTLE APP CALLED

CLASSIC SHELL

ITS AWESOME WORKS PERFECTLY, TURNS WIN 8 INTO 7 INSTANTLY.
That was completely unnecessary. Ignoring the fact that we've been using Classic Shell with this for a long time, Classic Shell does not "turn Windows 8 into Windows 7 instantly". The ONLY thing it restores is the Start Menu, and even then it defaults to a skin designed to match Windows 8's visual style. You need a lot more than that to make Windows 8 function exactly like Windows 7.

Ignoring all of that, we aren't even trying to turn Windows 8 into Windows 7, we're trying to turn Windows 10 into something which doesn't make your eyes bleed when you look at it.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#507 Post by Powerplayer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:31 am

yankeesamurai wrote:
CLASSIC SHELL
Classic shell was made in win7 days to give an alternative to the "IMRPOVED" Impossible to use menu , but since 8 they added the 7 menu to it as well however i always use pre-7 style with that also u need ribbon off program and deleting the extra bloatware like apps and immersive apps that got forced down our throats

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#508 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:23 am

I still really don't think replacing system files with old versions would be the best route to take. Keep in mind files in the Windows and/or System32 folders were designed only with the version of Windows they shipped with in mind. For example, the Windows XP version of Explorer.exe is very buggy on Windows 7. That is because when Microsoft is creating a new version of Windows, they really only have the new versions of each system file in mind.

In my honest opinion, I think there are much better ways to go about things. For one, DLL injections could be something to look into. Since we're mainly talking about the Windows shell, we could inject our own code into the explorer.exe process. The only problem I see with this is whenever the user needs to restart explorer, they'd need to re-inject the dll manually (a possible way around this would be to have a lightweight process that would constantly check for new instances of explorer.exe, and then inject the required DLLs when it finds one).
Other ways we could do things are through shell extensions (think Classic Shell's explorer toolbar) which would probably be the most practical way to implement something like a classic address bar.
We could also have our own exe files that could implement features. We could even use a combination of all these ideas. Of course, I think we would also have to look into optimization and stability to make sure everything works as well as it possibly can without a huge cost of performance.

The other alternative would be to create our own shell from scratch, or to start from a pre-existing shell (such as ReactOS explorer). Personally I'm not a fan of this idea as it would be extremely time consuming to create something that functions in even a similar manner to the default Windows shell. Microsoft has been updating their shell for years, and they have a boatload of money and developers to make it as polished as possible. We have neither of those things. Look at how long something like ReactOS has been in development, and It's nowhere near as polished/functional as Windows. Plus, I really don't want to limit options for people who want certain Windows 7+ features mixed with a classic UI. It's just too much work to make everything functional from scratch.

Of course, any and all of this would require a developer, which we obviously don't have at the moment. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Edit:
I forgot to add: Obviously certain things will have to be done from scratch, such as the replacement for LogonUI.exe. But that is an interface with a single purpose that is not designed for multitasking, so I think that's doable. Don't get me wrong, that would still be a very big project, but it would be nowhere near as big as something like a full replacement for explorer.exe.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#509 Post by Splitwirez » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:31 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:I still really don't think replacing system files with old versions would be the best route to take. Keep in mind files in the Windows and/or System32 folders were designed only with the version of Windows they shipped with in mind. For example, the Windows XP version of Explorer.exe is very buggy on Windows 7. That is because when Microsoft is creating a new version of Windows, they really only have the new versions of each system file in mind.
Ugh...just as I was starting to get somewhere with porting Longhorn 4074's explorer... >.<
windows.nt.win32 wrote:In my honest opinion, I think there are much better ways to go about things. For one, DLL injections could be something to look into. Since we're mainly talking about the Windows shell, we could inject our own code into the explorer.exe process. The only problem I see with this is whenever the user needs to restart explorer, they'd need to re-inject the dll manually (a possible way around this would be to have a lightweight process that would constantly check for new instances of explorer.exe, and then inject the required DLLs when it finds one).
Injecting code certaintly seems possible, as it has less risk of damaging the OS (provided there's a way to boot into the OS and login with the thing disabled, in case anything goes wrong), and it may also be safer legally, as we would no longer be distributing modified versions of existing Windows components.
windows.nt.win32 wrote:Other ways we could do things are through shell extensions (think Classic Shell's explorer toolbar) which would probably be the most practical way to implement something like a classic address bar.
Well most of Longhorn's shell development was done through Shell extensions, so there's that...
windows.nt.win32 wrote:We could also have our own exe files that could implement features. We could even use a combination of all these ideas. Of course, I think we would also have to look into optimization and stability to make sure everything works as well as it possibly can without a huge cost of performance.
>Without a huge cost of performance
Yeah, I'd say that's a big deal... :lol:
windows.nt.win32 wrote:The other alternative would be to create our own shell from scratch, or to start from a pre-existing shell (such as ReactOS explorer). Personally I'm not a fan of this idea as it would be extremely time consuming to create something that functions in even a similar manner to the default Windows shell. Microsoft has been updating their shell for years, and they have a boatload of money and developers to make it as polished as possible. We have neither of those things. Look at how long something like ReactOS has been in development, and It's nowhere near as polished/functional as Windows. Plus, I really don't want to limit options for people who want certain Windows 7+ features mixed with a classic UI. It's just too much work to make everything functional from scratch.
Another disadvantage of a new shell: How the heck do you run that instead of explorer without risk of screwing stuff up? .-.

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#510 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Well if you've actually made some progress porting the Longhorn explorer, I would be interested in seeing that. It does sound interesting, and hey, maybe we will go somewhere with that. Who knows. That does sound interesting at the very least. If you feel like you're getting somewhere with that, then by all means continue doing it. I'd love to see it, even if we don't end up using it in the long run.

If most of Longhorn's shell was developed through shell extensions, it could me interesting to look into porting them (or at the very least recreating them). Like I've said before, I'm all for giving everyone plenty of options, even if I won't use all of them personally.