Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Classic theme on Windows 8

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
Splitwirez
Freshman Member

Re: Classic theme on Windows 8

#331 Post by Splitwirez » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:44 pm

bugmn wrote:Splitwirez, and why am I insane? Are you just trolling me? Did you even read my entire post at classicshell forums? Did you even understand it? Is that why I am insane? Because you dont understand it?
Im just trying to figure out what made you say that?

What makes your design possible is the ability to have a custom address bar. The address bar that you have is possible with my idea. All of the buttons that you have are also possible. You can place images / objects anywhere you'd like on an explorer window with my idea too. The only things not possible are the navigation pane that has desktop, downloads etc.
The insanity bit was my way of saying that'd be beyond hell to implement. I read the entire thread, and couldn't make sense of it in the slightest, but that much is me, not you ._.

bugmn
Freshman Member

#332 Post by bugmn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:22 am

Splitwirez wrote: The insanity bit was my way of saying that'd be beyond hell to implement. I read the entire thread, and couldn't make sense of it in the slightest, but that much is me, not you ._.
I'm fairly confident in Ivo's skills that he could implement it. Perhaps I thought it out too much in the thread. That might be the issue here.

My idea is mainly just to add images instead of icons, since icons only support 32x32, 48x48 up to 256x256. The ability to move the said images anywhere you'd like on the explorer bar, a custom address bar, and a menu bar.

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#333 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:24 am

Right, sorry about the formatting. I'll be sure to keep my posts more concise, as well as things I reply to (whenever necessary).

Anyway, I'm really not sure what the point of having images in addition to icons for Classic Shell would be since:
-ICO icons can already support custom resolutions up to 256x256px; they're not all perfect squares (I even seem to remember some of the default Windows XP icons having resolutions of 47x48 for some reason).
-Implementing images could complicate the settings.
-It's not necessary, for the reasons mentioned above.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#334 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:12 am

Um...windows.nt.win32? Did you see the non-ribbon version of that Explorer Window concept I did?

bugmn
Freshman Member

#335 Post by bugmn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:55 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Right, sorry about the formatting. I'll be sure to keep my posts more concise, as well as things I reply to (whenever necessary).

Anyway, I'm really not sure what the point of having images in addition to icons for Classic Shell would be since:
-ICO icons can already support custom resolutions up to 256x256px; they're not all perfect squares (I even seem to remember some of the default Windows XP icons having resolutions of 47x48 for some reason).
-Implementing images could complicate the settings.
-It's not necessary, for the reasons mentioned above.
Hmm, I didnt know that they could support custom resolutions, thanks for that. Googling to find if they supported different resolutions turned up nothing for me before.

Anyways, having images instead of icons would allow you to have different size images in the explorer bar. Currently, you have to have the same icon size Im fairly sure in the explorer bar.

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#336 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:22 pm

Splitwirez, I like your concept art. It would be nice if the upper navigation toolbar was movable and customizable though (unlike how it was in Longhorn).

bugmn, I think the only way using images in addition to icons would be if buttons using images were a fixed size. Otherwise I think it would complicate the settings too much. That being said, I would rather just have icons with buttons that are adjustable in size.
By the way, it would be nice if Classic Shell were to support a hot/hover state for Classic Explorer Toolbar icons.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#337 Post by Powerplayer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:13 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote: -Implementing images could complicate the settings.
A very good step in the right direction the custom start button on classicshell is a proof of concept and if everything gets nicely skinned with png files then we get an explorer and shell32 that are kilobytes and at same time we satisfy people who want to have themes as we can have an editor where we load all the pngs we made in minutes eliminating the need of a huge imageres.dll or any other iconholding dll file .
Im all for it
1 Nt4/classicshell hybrid without icons but with png support and an editor that simply lets the user load system png icons for every icon the system uses ( wonderful news for modders)
2 fix the missing control panel stuff (with help from the godmode folder) create folder GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} and add stuff from there to a custom control panel
3 make dwm only load when a metroapp is loaded (for windowsmobile users)
4. make a mobile version ( phone windows 10 supports x86 programs)

Minimalist NT4 people will have their way aero lovers will get what they want , gamers will be able to set some kinda ultra minimal mode for performance nobody really loses.

No more loading of bloated theme dlls have everything in theming ways created as external files (maybe zipped or rared down) under the themes folder and user managable that way photoshop modders will make their dreamtheme that ms never allowed them to do.

Edit ofcause the classic theme would only require loading of png icons and it will be superfast without all the bloat and it should be the default theme so everytime you load a different theme you load it like a skin just like we did on winamp 2.xx Not like now have all bloat loaded in memory munching megabytes like pacman lol.
Not to mention how much linux icon/theme stuff we can grab on the go cause if we get png support porting these without programming skills will be piece of cake.
Last edited by Powerplayer on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#338 Post by Powerplayer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Splitwirez wrote:Um...windows.nt.win32? Did you see the non-ribbon version of that Explorer Window concept I did?

kinda pointless when we have ribbon disabler http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.20 i already didit this nice pic did it with only ribbon disabler and reshacker for removing annoying command bar http://s23.postimg.org/5z2ncr5zv/window.png

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#339 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:49 pm

Powerplayer wrote:kinda pointless when we have ribbon disabler http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.20 i already didit this nice pic did it with only ribbon disabler and reshacker for removing annoying command bar http://s23.postimg.org/5z2ncr5zv/window.png
Having an idea for a ribbonless explorer is pointless...because there's a means to make it happen? WHAT???
windows.nt.win32 wrote:Splitwirez, I like your concept art. It would be nice if the upper navigation toolbar was movable and customizable though (unlike how it was in Longhorn).
Heh, thanks :3
Um...wait, do you mean the File/Edit/Etc toolbar? If that is what you mean, then definitely. Also, last I checked, its immobility in Longhorn was a product of the then-new explorer's awkward temporary construction, and not a planned change...

bugmn
Freshman Member

#340 Post by bugmn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Powerplayer wrote:
kinda pointless when we have ribbon disabler http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.20 i already didit this nice pic did it with only ribbon disabler and reshacker for removing annoying command bar http://s23.postimg.org/5z2ncr5zv/window.png
Actually, the ribbon disabler doesn't work in windows 10. Unfortunately I got the error 'critical error, cortana and start menu aren't working' after enabling the ribbon disabler. I then had to do a system restore.

It's concept art. I'd say thats how it'd look if the ribbon was disabled. It could've been disabled already with the ribbon disabler in the picture. I don't think the concept art is pointless. Also you can't achieve the look of his concept just by disabling the ribbon.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#341 Post by Powerplayer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:02 am

bugmn wrote:
Powerplayer wrote:
Actually, the ribbon disabler doesn't work in windows 10. Unfortunately I got the error 'critical error, cortana and start menu aren't working' after enabling the ribbon disabler. I then had to do a system restore.
Ribbondisabler works very fine here .
Your problem is that you did not disable system restore funtions or delete autochk autofmt files and a few more tweaks like disable windows backup and delete the restore wim folder also i deleted cortana and the fake startmenu called shellexperiencehost if i try to enable ribbon disabler without deleting autofiles or disabeling windows update done in device manager network show hidden all virtual adapters must be disabled so that windows does not install fixes that mess our settings up. Also i suggest rebooting from a live install and get rid of the horrible windows defender by deleting it from program files it messes with everything you do .
When that buggy stuff are gone ur fine to disable ribbon

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#342 Post by Powerplayer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:50 am

Splitwirez wrote:because there's a means to make it happen[/i]? WHAT???

Oh i thought you used some file browsing program sorry i did not realize you started making an explorer my bad.
its a great idea i would love to see basic nt4 functionality implemented and png icons added externally so that explorer and shell32 are kilobytes in size and with incredible browsing speed also hope to see it load without rpc and dcomlaunch perfect for gamer rigs .
please make the toolbars add removable and open in its own window features.

bugmn
Freshman Member

#343 Post by bugmn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:23 am

Powerplayer wrote:
bugmn wrote:
Ribbondisabler works very fine here .
Your problem is that you did not disable system restore funtions or delete adisutofmt files and a few more tweaks like disable windows backup and delete the restore wim folder also i deleted cortana and the fake startmenu called shellexperiencehost if i try to enable ribbon disabler without deleting autofiles or disabeling windows update done in device manager network show hidden all virtual adapters must be disabled so that windows does not install fixes that mess our settings up. Also i suggest rebooting from a live install and get rid of the horrible windows defender by deleting it from program files it messes with everything you do .
When that buggy stuff are gone ur fine to disable ribbon
Thanks, thats much appreciated mate. Ill have to give that a go on my windows 10.
Edit: I actually dont want to mess with my system settings. I dont want to disable system restore, as I still use that.
Id say that it's a bug with the ribbon disabler that it doesnt work without changing system settings.
Until windows 10 is officially supported by the ribbon disabler ( it still says for windows 8 ) and has the bugs worked out ( it should work just by itself, without having to change anything ) Ill live with the ribbon enabled.

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#344 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:44 pm

I never used the Ribbon Disabler on Windows 10. I just deleted the 'EXPLORER_RIBBON' UIFile from ExplorerFrame.dll using Resource Hacker.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

Re: Classic theme on Windows 8 (IMAGE WARNING OR WHATEVER)

#345 Post by Splitwirez » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Concept for a Wi-Fi connection panel thingy. It's a lot more compact and less bloated than Microsoft's version ._.

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#346 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:17 am

Looks nice. Kinda reminds me of Windows 7's Connect to a network dialog, except in an actual window. I like it.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#347 Post by Splitwirez » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:21 am

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Looks nice. Kinda reminds me of Windows 7's Connect to a network dialog, except in an actual window. I like it.
:3

It was based on the one from Vista, but trimmed and compacted to around 3/5 its original size :T

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#348 Post by Powerplayer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 am

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Looks nice. Kinda reminds me of Windows 7's Connect to a network dialog, except in an actual window. I like it.
If we know what dll controls windows 7 taskbar wifi we can just copy it to win10 and connect to network as in win7 .
Anybody played around with that yet? i got win8 taskbar sndvol files and battery to work with win10
what are the dlls for taskbar wifi in win7?

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#349 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:28 pm

Try NetworkExplorer.dll, netcenter.dll, or netshell.dll. I think it's in NetworkExplorer.dll, but I'm not 100% positive.

Also, as an alternative I've been using PE Network Manager. It's not the same as the Windows network connections, but it gets the job done. And it works with the classic theme.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#350 Post by Powerplayer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Try NetworkExplorer.dll, netcenter.dll, or netshell.dll. I think it's in NetworkExplorer.dll, but I'm not 100% positive.

Also, as an alternative I've been using PE Network Manager. It's not the same as the Windows network connections, but it gets the job done. And it works with the classic theme.
penetwork did only work on win8 on 10 everythings greyed out Why not base a new netcenter on pe network manager?

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#351 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:45 pm

I don't think PE Network Manager is open source...

By the way, it works fine for me on Windows 10.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#352 Post by Powerplayer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:53 am

windows.nt.win32 wrote:I don't think PE Network Manager is open source...

By the way, it works fine for me on Windows 10.
It is opensource it is on sourceforge u can dl the source too http://sourceforge.net/projects/penetwork/

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#353 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:41 am

Is it just me, or are these concept pieces not really helping? And if so, is there something else I can do to help? :Y

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#354 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Powerplayer wrote:It is opensource it is on sourceforge u can dl the source too
Really? Well that's good to know.
Splitwirez wrote:Is it just me, or are these concept pieces not really helping? And if so, is there something else I can do to help? :Y
Well I wouldn't say it's completely unhelpful, but I feel that all of us are kind of stuck due to lack of programming skill. We just really need a developer for this project. Like I said, I may be able to help in the future, but for now we're kind of just posting things we find that we think could help with all this. You can keep doing the concept art stuff if you'd like.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#355 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:46 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:Is it just me, or are these concept pieces not really helping? And if so, is there something else I can do to help? :Y
Well I wouldn't say it's completely unhelpful, but I feel that all of us are kind of stuck due to lack of programming skill. We just really need a developer for this project. Like I said, I may be able to help in the future, but for now we're kind of just posting things we find that we think could help with all this. You can keep doing the concept art stuff if you'd like.
o

Well it's gonna be a while before I get a grip on development, so I'll just keep doing concepts in the meantime, in that case ^-^

kensiko

#356 Post by kensiko » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:28 pm

I just joined.

Looking to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 10 at work. Currently on Windows XP. Windows 7 got the classic theme and our own applications look fine. However in 10 they do not.

I'm pushing for Win10 because Win7 will be like Windows XP last year, in 4 years ! Win10 will be left out of the updates only in 10 years.

I really like the look of the classic theme screenshot in Windows 10, but I don't know which file to download and the instructions to do it. Also, why do you bother about DWM ? Just let it work, no ?

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#357 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:40 pm

kensiko wrote:I just joined.

Looking to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 10 at work. Currently on Windows XP. Windows 7 got the classic theme and our own applications look fine. However in 10 they do not.

I'm pushing for Win10 because Win7 will be like Windows XP last year, in 4 years ! Win10 will be left out of the updates only in 10 years.

I really like the look of the classic theme screenshot in Windows 10, but I don't know which file to download and the instructions to do it. Also, why do you bother about DWM ? Just let it work, no ?
This is the tool itself. Just download and run it, and it should become obvious as to what to do next.

As for why DWM is still needed? Well, for starters, Windows 10's login screen is dependent on DWM, so without it you'd have to ditch your password in order to be able to log in! There's a lot of other stuff that needs DWM, but that's the biggest one by far.

kensiko

#358 Post by kensiko » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Splitwirez wrote:
kensiko wrote:I just joined.

This is the tool itself. Just download and run it, and it should become obvious as to what to do next.

As for why DWM is still needed? Well, for starters, Windows 10's login screen is dependent on DWM, so without it you'd have to ditch your password in order to be able to log in! There's a lot of other stuff that needs DWM, but that's the biggest one by far.
Agree, DWM should be let like that, I don't know why you want to kill it, that's my question.

Ok thank downloaded the tool, logged-off and ON, and I lost my taskbar, only having an Explorer Windows. Uninstalled it.

Isn't there a Windows 10 updated classic theme file ?

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#359 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:57 pm

kensiko wrote:
Splitwirez wrote: This is the tool itself. Just download and run it, and it should become obvious as to what to do next.

Agree, DWM should be let like that, I don't know why you want to kill it, that's my question.

Ok thank downloaded the tool, logged-off and ON, and I lost my taskbar, only having an Explorer Windows. Uninstalled it.

Isn't there a Windows 10 updated classic theme file?
Yeah, the taskbar is a big issue. And no, there is no reason for which Microsoft would have updated the Windows 10 files for a feature they (sort of) removed in Windows 8 ._.

EDIT: The taskbar sometimes works, albeit not flawlessly... .____.

bugmn
Freshman Member

#360 Post by bugmn » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:43 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:I never used the Ribbon Disabler on Windows 10. I just deleted the 'EXPLORER_RIBBON' UIFile from ExplorerFrame.dll using Resource Hacker.
That sounds good, but it won't load a menu bar in place. I was told that the ribbon disabler enables the menu bar too. Unless that's wrong?

@Splitwirez that's a nice concept image, I like it.

PE Network Manager seems good, but I like versions 0.39 - 0.45 the best for their retro tab look. Though I can't find a download of those versions on the web. Here's a picture: http://holger.reboot.pro/pics/PENetworkVista.jpg

Netsetman also has the windows 98 tab style as well: http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/3607/pro ... c_orig.jpg

You can configure wireless networks with netsetman, as well as lan connections. I think netsetman is better.
The only problem I find with netsetman is that it doesn't show a wifi bars icon in the notificaton bar on your bottom right of the screen.

Netsetman is freeware, but it has a portable edition that is open-source.

Edit: Netsetman works with the classic theme enabled, picture here: http://i65.tinypic.com/wl58wl.png

Here's a very simple wireless manager that's open-source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wireles ... =directory

@kensiko Isn't there a Windows 10 updated classic theme file ?

No, there isn't. There's a theme that trys to mimic the classic theme, but it has rectangular minimize/close buttons. It also doesn't have the blue to light blue gradient color either.

If we could somehow port the classic theme from windows 7 with all its dll files, and registry files, that'd be nice. But then there's the issue of how to make metro windows, & windows such as pc settings have the classic theme as well.