Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SOLVED - WIFI dies if I close lid - Windows 8.1

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
natgab
Freshman Member

SOLVED - WIFI dies if I close lid - Windows 8.1

#1 Post by natgab » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:20 pm

Switched to Windows 8.1 from Vista ( I prefered it over Win7 ) and I have had it installed for over a week. I like it well enough and got the hang of making Metro usable. My problem is that when I close the lid and then open it up, my Wifi gets cut off. It will not come back on even if I turn Wifi on/off or sign in / sign out from my network. Only thing that will work is a reboot.

I dual-boot with Linux Mint and have no problem with Wifi on it or in my previous Vista instillation. So I know it is not a hardware problem. I have all the Windows 8.1 updates, it even game me some from Lenovo for the trackpoint. Do I need to get drivers from Intel for my Wifi?

EDIT: Found the solution. Windows 8/8.1 does not officially support the chipset ( Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG ), so they get generic wifi drivers. These do not work perfectly, but did work on install and let me finish install updates wirelessly!

Intel site and forums said to use Windows 7 drivers after installing Windows 8.1. This fixes problem of losing Wifi after sleep or closing lid.
Thinkpad X260 ( # 20F6-CTR1WW) 2.3HGz i3 6100u, 16GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, Intel HD520, 1366x768 IPS
Thinkpad T43 - bkup | Thinkpad R50 - DOA | Thinkpad R61 - RIP | Thinkpad X40 - In Use