Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

help, can't boot up, boot manager seems frozen

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
syrahnose
Freshman Member

help, can't boot up, boot manager seems frozen

#1 Post by syrahnose » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Help, can’t boot after removing/replacing ssd on yoga s1. unit was working perfectly before that. All I wanted to do was upgrade my drive.

I opened up my thinkpad yoga to check if new 480gb ssd was compatible with native 128 that came with it. All I did was slip the original out of contact points and immediately replace, seeing both were same. Close unit and then intended to start format of new drive via acronnis.

But the yoga wouldn’t boot. Goes to windows boot manager, but that does nothing when I hit enter. Seems frozen.

I can get to thinkpad set up menu, but don’t see a solution there.

I can’t seem to shut down the yoga using power button on side.

The only odd consideration is that I may have opened up the unit while it was sleeping, so power was conntected to ssd when I slipped it in and out of contacts in birth. Would that impact the ssd in a way that wouldn’t allow it to boot?

syrahnose
Freshman Member

Re: help, can't boot up, boot manager seems frozen

#2 Post by syrahnose » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:52 pm

update
I pulled the ssd out of yoga and can see all the OS and other files are still intact. Also, using a usb win 8 boot device, I got 4 window blue trademark back up, but it hung again, stating 80004001 error. Now I'm trying to repair via my win 7 x200's usb file repair software. scanning and hopefully fixing now. Any advice, comments welcome.

syrahnose
Freshman Member

Re: help, can't boot up, boot manager seems frozen

#3 Post by syrahnose » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:52 am

fixed it myself. turned out reinstalling ssd had nudged MB cabled enough not to allow ssd to fire up. Only discovered that when reinstalled second time and power button wouldn't work, just 3 blinks then off. Looked that up and saw MB cable issue was key. very tiny connection, very easy to miss disconnection because hidden under label.