Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad Helix _ Cannot upgrade to Win 8.1

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
quoc

Thinkpad Helix _ Cannot upgrade to Win 8.1

#1 Post by quoc » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:23 am

Hi - Really need your help on this

I have just bought a Thinkpad Helix with Windows 8 Pro, when I checked, everything seemed good and windows keys was activated.

When I tried to upgrade to Win 8.1 Pro, I was informed that the Current Os is not eligible for upgrade. That's when I found out that my windows license expire in Oct! I Called Microsoft, gave them my product IUD was was advised that my Windows is not legal version??

Assuming that the Helix came installed with Win 8Pro (which it supposed to and have the Win 8 pro sticker) I tried to create a recovery medium to reset the computer to its original state, I created the USB Boot drive successfully, but cannot boot with the drive, it said Files are missing....

This Computer has 3 years warranty until mid 2016.

My question is: Shouldn't this computer comes with an OEM version of win 8 pro, which should be a permanent version without expiry? Furthermore, if it has problem, I Should be able to reset it without issue with the recovery drive created right?

Is there anything I can do to restore back the original version of windows that came with the machine (I obviously don't have the original Key, and the seller also doesn't know as they are reseller of old computers).

Please help to point me to a possible solution, I don't want to spend another 100 bucks or so just for a new windows.

Thanks