Fake or genuine battery?

T430 - T470 and T530 - T570 series specific matters only
umern
Freshman Member

Fake or genuine battery?

#1 Post by umern » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:48 am

Hi all,
I have a T450 and recently purchased a spare (external) battery 24wh / 68 battery. It was advertised as genuine Lenovo and it certainly looks genuine. The label is absolutely identical - fonts, spelling etc are a perfect match.

The serial number is missing however and I also notice some very minor differences in the physical aspects:
1) the sides of the battery are subtly different - as shown in the attached pictures.
2) there is a slight indentation just below the recycle logo on the new spare battery - whereas my original battery is complete flat in the same location.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pqy7dweodei5 ... 9.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hu23kh5pmthfn ... 9.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdcjnsfnt32g5 ... 9.JPG?dl=0

Can a few people please compare with their (same) battery and let me know which it compares to? The batteries are labelled in the photos.
Many thanks.

Thinkpad4by3

Re: Fake or genuine battery?

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:06 am

Its probably legit. Its probably a different manufactuer under licence from Lenovo. Its like how both chicony and NMB make lenovo keyboards but they feel slightly different.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

With great power comes great responsibility!

A lesson Lenovo has not cared to learn yet.

umern
Freshman Member

#3 Post by umern » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:43 am

Thanks.
I can understand the difference on the side of the casing, but the indentation concerns me.
I ran Lenovo settings and it reported a barcode and Sanyo battery type, 24wh capacity etc - so not sure how meaningful that is in terms of confirming its a genuine battery....

Thinkpad4by3

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Could just be a manufacturing defect that happens time to time.

Thinkpad4by3

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:38 pm

umern wrote:Thanks.
I can understand the difference on the side of the casing, but the indentation concerns me.
I ran Lenovo settings and it reported a barcode and Sanyo battery type, 24wh capacity etc - so not sure how meaningful that is in terms of confirming its a genuine battery....
You seem pretty concerned so Ill go home and check my X240 battery against yours and see.

Sent from my ThinkPhone running Android Warp 4.02

tfa

#6 Post by tfa » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 am

seems legit, either a different battery (contract) manufacturer or the same vendor but over the time with slight adjustment in terms of product improvement/ECN's, 'real' fakes looking much worse, I think you are safe ...

UMPC2024
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by UMPC2024 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:17 pm

umern wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:43 am
Thanks.
What exactly do you mean by "Lenovo settings"? If it's power manager, then you can look at the "manufacture date" and "first used date". If it's a fake (or nonOEM), those usually don't match up. Also, does it charge and discharge just fine?
tfa wrote:seems legit, either a different battery (contract) manufacturer or the same vendor but over the time with slight adjustment in terms of product improvement/ECN's, 'real' fakes looking much worse, I think you are safe ...
Not necessarily true. I got a fake 90Wh T430 battery from China and it looked like the real deal. The only thing that was off was a little bit of the label peeling off.

Thinkpad4by3

#8 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:29 pm

UMPC2024 wrote:
umern wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:43 am
Thanks.
What exactly do you mean by "Lenovo settings"? If it's power manager, then you can look at the "manufacture date" and "first used date". If it's a fake (or nonOEM), those usually don't match up. Also, does it charge and discharge just fine?
tfa wrote:seems legit, either a different battery (contract) manufacturer or the same vendor but over the time with slight adjustment in terms of product improvement/ECN's, 'real' fakes looking much worse, I think you are safe ...
Not necessarily true. I got a fake 90Wh T430 battery from China and it looked like the real deal. The only thing that was off was a little bit of the label peeling off.
I figure of they put that much effort into a clone battery, it probably wont blow up in your face.

umern
Freshman Member

#9 Post by umern » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks for all the replies.
Was away from home for most of the weekend - I have let it discharge and charge once so far and the discharge / charge times seemed normal....
Fingers crossed - I am an leaning towards genuine.
Cheers.

umern
Freshman Member

#10 Post by umern » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 am

UMPC2024 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:17 pm
The Windows 10 app - 'Lenovo Settings' can be installed from the Windows store - seems to be the replacement for Lenovo Power Manager.