Ever since I got this thing, when typing in Microsoft Office, hitting Enter moves the cursor UP a line instead of down. The spacebar does a hard-to-explain page-jump thing (moves down several lines, then moves back up when you type another letter). These problems happen in Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and in Wordpad, as well as on browsers AND in the BIOS setup utility. But Notepad works fine, and InDesign is fine. And again, using a USB keyboard works fine, and the Enter key on the 10-key pad works fine.
I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard drivers, checking all the Ease of Access settings (Sticky Keys, etc. are OFF). Checked all the settings in Word I could find. I downloaded a keyboard mapping tool thinking I could maybe map it properly, but the tool doesn't show any problem with the keys. The guy I got the computer from (online) insists it has something to do with Sticky Keys that I keep turning on (like I don't know how to use a computer) and can't seem to hear my explanation. I've scoured the internet for clues as to what is causing this and how I can fix it, and I've found nothing. Any ideas?
1) Has the keyboard ever seen any form of liquid (anything spilt on it)?
2) Have you moved the TP between extreme cool and warmth and created condensate in the tracings for the KB? (Would affect other parts of system, so not conclusive)
3) Have you tried a fresh install of your OS on a different HDD/SSD to see if the problem persists?
4) Do you have any programs installed that could potentially be causing the issue?
5) Have you run the Lenovo KB check tool? (available HERE>> Official Lenovo KB Diagnostic Tool Download )
See also here for official T540p software, hardware drivers and Diagnostic tool D/L's >> Official Lenovo T540p Page
6) Has the KB always behaved in this way? If so, it may have been like that before/at the time of purchase.
7) Do you have any way to check if the KB ribbon is seated properly in the connection port on the Mobo without voiding any warranty/Guarantee?
Have you f9'd the BIOS (Reset to factory settings AFTER noting current settings) to see if that helps?
*Mobo = Motherboard
If you have exhausted all of the above and it is still behaving oddly, chances are it may be a faulty KB, in which case, reject the item as unfit for purpose (not as advertised) and seek a resolution with the seller.
*** EDIT ***
I have just tried re-creating the issue you describe with (basic and quick) key combo's in word 2007 and have yet to be able to replicate the symptom/s, which leads me to thinking it may well be a software/driver issue...
Ctrl+Enter/Return = Next page/New Page in word 2007
Alt+Delete/Backspace = undo in word 2007
As an aside, are there any other text based programs you could try to see if it behaves the same? (Notepad++ is a good text editor btw)
*** EDIT ***
Install Mojave on X220 & T420
- Similar Topics
- Last post
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests