Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T430s - can I replace WWAN card with mSATA SSD?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
br1anstorm

T430s - can I replace WWAN card with mSATA SSD?

#1 Post by br1anstorm » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:12 am

I have just acquired an ex-corporate Thinkpad T430s. As well as the usual WLAN card for wifi-connectivity, it has an Ericsson WWAN card which appears to be "half-size", mounted using a sort of bracket or caddy in what looks like an mSATA (PCie?) space beside the RAM.

I don't need a WWAN (which I assume is used with a SIM card to connect to a mobile phone network....) on the laptop. Is there any reason why I cannot replace it with an mSATA SSD to give me extra storage space? I know that on the T430 there is normally an empty mSATA slot into which an SSD can be fitted, so I was thinking of doing the same using the WWAN slot on this T430s. If such a swap is possible, are there any special steps that need to be taken to make it work?

Of course I also have the option of putting a "full size" SSD into a caddy to fit into the CD/DVD Ultrabay on the T430s, and I may look at that as well (or instead!). But it's hard to be certain of finding the right caddy-size: while there are many listed for the T430, the availability of caddies for the - slimmer - T430s seems more limited. Any tips on sources or suppliers would be welcome.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T430s - can I replace WWAN card with mSATA SSD?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:45 am

mSATA works fine in T430s, see also here: viewtopic.php?t=123528

For a T430s caddy:
https://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.ph ... cts_id=480
Be patient, their website is a bit slow.
I have a different one from them for my T440p. Excellent quality and fit.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Covid-19: Stay safe, so still Mask it or Casket!

br1anstorm

Re: T430s - can I replace WWAN card with mSATA SSD?

#3 Post by br1anstorm » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:18 pm

Thanks @RBS both for the advice on a caddy for the CD/DVD bay, and for the link to that thread discussing mSATA cards.

The caddy from a supplier in the US seems quite a bit more expensive than the numerous ones offered on that well-known auction site (which are no doubt mostly made in China - but then so are Lenovos....).

The thread about mSATA cards in the WWAN slot is very interesting. My searching hadn't picked it up because that discussion seems to focus mainly on the T430. But at least it confirms that an mSATA SSD "card" will fit in both T430 and T430s. The fact that the connection is SATA II rather than SATA III is - for me anyway - not a deal-breaker.

The debate then tends to hinge on whether to use that SSD card for one or more OSs, and devote the main drive and/or any SSD in the CD/DVD slot to storage and backups. I'll have to ponder the options further, while looking out for a decent quality mSATA card at a reasonable price.....