Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T460s won't power up.

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
Gord K.

T460s won't power up.

#1 Post by Gord K. » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:10 pm

I have a refurbished T460s that I bought through Staples (in Canada) in January or February of this year, so any limited warranty that may have come with it is long gone. Since day 1 the batteries have not really held a charge but this was not a huge issue because the laptop sits on a desk and is usually used with the power bar on. Yesterday I went to use the laptop and it powered up and then immediately powered off. I turned on the power bar and powered it on again and checked the batteries which were sitting at 1%. Shortly after that the laptop powered itself off again and now I get nothing. And I mean NOTHING! The green light beside the power plug is not even on.

Do I just have two beyond dead internal batteries or has something else died?

Thanks,

Gord

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T460s won't power up.

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 pm

Remove both batteries and the charger, then hold down the Power button for ~20 seconds, then plug in only charger and try to boot.
If OK, get new batteries.
If not, let us know.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Covid-19: Stay safe, so still Mask it or Casket!

Gord K.

Re: T460s won't power up.

#3 Post by Gord K. » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks @RealBlackStuff. I tried what you suggested and I get nothing, no lights, no beeps, no response at all. And to take it one step further, I have two of these refurbished T460s’ and I tried the other power adapter as well - same results.

Is it a paperweight?

Gord