Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Opening bottom cover of T460p

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
lai_amc

Opening bottom cover of T460p

#1 Post by lai_amc » Sat May 07, 2016 4:27 am

Greeting!
I recently received my new T460p to replace by X230. I intend to upgrade my T460p storage to 1TB SSD. As such, I need to open the whole bottom cover.

I downloaded T460p manual, but it is not helpful at all. After loosen all the screws, the bottom cover is still 'very very tightly' connected to the body. I tried using a small screw driver to force the bottom cover from the body (starting from the corner), but was not successful. I am afraid using any stronger force will break the bottom/body casing.

Hopefully, anyone who had experienced in opening the T460p, can share more details and advise? Thanks in advance!

jayk
Freshman Member

Re: Opening bottom cover of T460p

#2 Post by jayk » Thu May 12, 2016 2:43 pm

I just did this a couple of days ago on my new T460p. It's definitely not much fun. You can see some of the snaps near the edge under where the battery sits... I used a small screw-driver to 'un-snap' those (pushing them away from the edge). Then I started at one of the rear corners with a small, thin screwdriver... once I got it separated a bit I slid a credit-card in there and worked along the side edge, popping the snaps out as I went. I wish I had a set of those plastic pry tools (less change of damaging the case), but I was careful with a small metal screwdriver and it went ok. Once I got about half of the snaps out the bottom pulled off pretty easily.

PS: Don't forget to remove the sim card cover first. I found the instructions in the HMM pretty helpful.

PPS: How do you feel about the trackpoint? I'm using it in Windows 10 and I find it a lot stiffer than my T530 (even with all settings turned up to max).

shuth

#3 Post by shuth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 am

I used my fingernails, hurts. What on earth are the "keyboard rubbers" for (finally figured that one out)... the hmm says to remove them, but I find it easier to pry the cover off, slipping it over the rubbers, THEN removing them....less risk of tearing them (I tore all 3 on the t460 that went back, those stupid rubber plugs are $25+. That sim card cover almost got me the second time. I read about servicing this unit and pulled the HMM before buying, in practice it was worse than it appeared. I can't even figure out why it's designed that way, unless it's for strength, but it didn't seem all that strong anyway. Before I took it apart the deck around the keyboard was not snapped together well and had gaps, when I put it back together it didn't get any better... just seems like a rotten design.

WRT the trackpad, I hated it so much, combined with the tedious serviceability, I returned it. Thinkpads are going to he** I can't fathom why they bloated the trackpad so much. The 15.6" Models are out of the running becaused they shoved it so far over to the left, the corner gouges your wrist. I couldn't understand why I was having so much trouble acclimating myself to the T460P and I realized the trackpad was huge compared to the T430s. The longer ultranav buttons just got in the way of everything. It's been bad enough having to use the chiclet keyboard, but the giant pad pushed it over the edge. Not to mention the missing Thinklight and rearranged keyboard. It's as though the designers have either never used a laptop, or never used a thinkpad. Seriously seems like they are trying to attract mac users.

I have an X140e and it's a dream to work on, a metal bottom cover with a few screws provides access to almost all the components. Same with (duck) Ideapad 300 17.3". My aging T430s compelled me to buy and return: T550, P70, T460P because they were all dreadful compared. Update and now bought and returned a T460 and finally settled on another T460p, this time with an i7.. the first one was an i5 because I didn't want the Nvidia to save power. The newer unit is built better than the one I received last year.

I have spudgers and guitar picks, but it's still easier to open with my fingernails. I've done it so many times now I'm getting better at it. The seam is so narrow on the case nothing else seems to fit in the crack.
Last edited by shuth on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

JNavas

#4 Post by JNavas » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:53 am

lai_amc wrote:Greeting!
I recently received my new T460p to replace by X230. I intend to upgrade my T460p storage to 1TB SSD. As such, I need to open the whole bottom cover.
I downloaded T460p manual, but it is not helpful at all. After loosen all the screws, the bottom cover is still 'very very tightly' connected to the body. I tried using a small screw driver to force the bottom cover from the body (starting from the corner), but was not successful. I am afraid using any stronger force will break the bottom/body casing.
Hopefully, anyone who had experienced in opening the T460p, can share more details and advise? Thanks in advance!
Get a plastic (preferably nylon) spudger (pry tool) used to open smartphones.
Makes it much easier to pry open the case without damaging it.
And it's easiest if you follow the order in the Maintenance Manual.

John
ThinkPad T420s [i7-2640M CPU|16GB RAM|1TB SSD|1600x900|BayBatt|BT|Webcam|FR|Win8.1Prox64]

DenverBrian

#5 Post by DenverBrian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Get a plastic (preferably nylon) spudger (pry tool) used to open smartphones.
Makes it much easier to pry open the case without damaging it.
And it's easiest if you follow the order in the Maintenance Manual.

Wish I had known about these; I ended up using fingernails on my T460 to the same sore effect as mentioned upthread.

Assuming the T460 and T460p are similar, there are eight screws to loosen, then you're supposed to lift/pry the front edge, then the sides, then supposedly "push" towards the battery edge and lift up. That "push" is bogus in my book.

Once you do get the entire back cover off, it's one screw to swap out the SSD and a literal snap to add RAM in the empty slot. Getting the back cover on again is a matter of pressing and getting everything to snap back into place before tightening the screws.