Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

T430 - T470 and T530 - T570 series specific matters only
Post Reply
Message
Author
ThorOfAsgard
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:23 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#1 Post by ThorOfAsgard » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:43 am

In the optical drive bay, there's a small plastic piece attached to a spring that slides back and forth so it can lock the optical drive in place. The tab on the end of that piece broke off so now the drive won't lock in place. It's not such a big deal with the drive, but with the weight of the media bay battery, the battery sometimes falls out without the lock.

Anyone know what that part is called or where to get it cheap?

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:15 am

ThorOfAsgard wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:43 am
In the optical drive bay, there's a small plastic piece attached to a spring that slides back and forth so it can lock the optical drive in place. The tab on the end of that piece broke off so now the drive won't lock in place. It's not such a big deal with the drive, but with the weight of the media bay battery, the battery sometimes falls out without the lock.

Anyone know what that part is called or where to get it cheap?
I have a fried T430s but I can't check it now since I'm not at home. For now, check the FRUs in the HMM to see what part it is.
Welcome to the jungle, we have FrankenPads
If you want it you're going to bleed, but that is the price to pay
And you're a very rare mobo, very hard to get
You can see the blinky lights, but you won't get them for free.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Mt. Cobb, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:48 am

In October 2015 I posted this for a T420: Ultrabay CD-Slider Lock re-invented!
Probably not far off from a T430s.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

ThorOfAsgard
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:23 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#4 Post by ThorOfAsgard » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:15 am
I have a fried T430s but I can't check it now since I'm not at home. For now, check the FRUs in the HMM to see what part it is.
Downloaded that manual. It's over 100 pages. I flipped through it, but didnt see that part. I suppose I might see it if I read all 100+ pages slowly like a novel, but I'm not that motivated.

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:31 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:48 am
In October 2015 I posted this for a T420: Ultrabay CD-Slider Lock re-invented!
Probably not far off from a T430s.
It's the same thing. You can buy a base piece for 10$ + Shipping and just salvage the piece from there.

Something like this should suit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Lenovo- ... 3046052974?
Welcome to the jungle, we have FrankenPads
If you want it you're going to bleed, but that is the price to pay
And you're a very rare mobo, very hard to get
You can see the blinky lights, but you won't get them for free.

ThorOfAsgard
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:23 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#6 Post by ThorOfAsgard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:22 am

Alright, thanks. It looks like I'll have to disassemble the entire laptop to get to those two screws that hold the slide in place. Not sure I'm that motivated. Might just put some duct tape over the bay battery and call it a day.

UMPC2024
Sophomore Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:18 am
Location: Lawrence, KS

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#7 Post by UMPC2024 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:28 am

ThorOfAsgard wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:13 pm
Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:15 am
I have a fried T430s but I can't check it now since I'm not at home. For now, check the FRUs in the HMM to see what part it is.
Downloaded that manual. It's over 100 pages. I flipped through it, but didnt see that part. I suppose I might see it if I read all 100+ pages slowly like a novel, but I'm not that motivated.
No, you're not mistaken. I have a T430 with the inside part broken and tried to find it in the manual, couldn't either.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Mt. Cobb, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 am

An alternative solution would be to just insert a rubber band underneath/together with the drive.
Until that rubber band dries up (in a year or two), it'll do a decent job!

ThorOfAsgard
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:23 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#9 Post by ThorOfAsgard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:21 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 am
An alternative solution would be to just insert a rubber band underneath/together with the drive.
Until that rubber band dries up (in a year or two), it'll do a decent job!
Good idea. It made me think to try a small piece of double sided tape. Works perfect, and if I want to remove it, I can just slide a knife blade in there.

livmatus
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:47 pm
Location: Spišská Nová Ves, Slovakia

Re: Replacement for springy drive lock thingamabob on T430S

#10 Post by livmatus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:03 pm

That little piece of ...plastic... is also broken on my T430s.

You can find it in FRU 04W3500 (Base Misk KIT, Thundetbolt version).

But I am not willing to pay ~50€ for the whole KIT just to have that littlepiece of plastic...

I've been searching for 8 months... but I wasn't able to find it.

http://i.imgur.com/YlBc6xL.png

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad T430/T530 and later Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests