Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

t440 'G' & 'H' keys near the trackpoint dont quite flush down when pressed

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
renowijoyo

t440 'G' & 'H' keys near the trackpoint dont quite flush down when pressed

#1 Post by renowijoyo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 am

so i just purchased a new but used t440 and still getting used to the new keyboard layout (from x201s).
some thoughts:
- keeps mis-pressing CAPS LOCK for 'A'. my fingers can't sense the edge of the new keyboard
- no dedicated volume button. takes two fingers to adjust volume. sometimes you need that mute button as quick as possible
- dislike the new touchpad and the absence of the ultranav clickers. the ultranav clicker served as a resting point for my thumb and prevent the thumb from brushing unintentionally with the new and large touchpad
- single slot RAM arrrgh
- 2 USB port?

but i've beginning to accept the flaws mainly due to the fact this unit is 99% like new and cheap as dirt (relatively).

however i found one thing that's nagging me. not sure if this is normal or not. the G & H button dont quite flush down when pressed with normal pressure. not the whole button but only towards the middle of the keyboard (where the trackpoint is). it's almost seems there's a component beneath that's preventing them from being pressed all the way down. it might not matter for most, but every time i hit those buttons, my fingers definitely sense something off, and that's enough to bug my typing experience.

can anyone confirm if this is normal?

Bruce Guttman

Re: t440 'G' & 'H' keys near the trackpoint dont quite flush down when pressed

#2 Post by Bruce Guttman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 pm

I haven't looked carefully at my (new to me) T440, but on the classic Thinkpads there is a screw that goes just there to hold the keyboard. You might want to take the bottom cover off and have a look. On my T410 and T420 I have to use a shorter screw than specified in the HMM.

Mine was almost unusable because the previous owner installed the OS and then Windows 10 on the 16GB "flash" drive. It completely filled the drive and updates would not work. I got around this by creating a Restore Drive, removing the 16G, reinstalling Windows on the 500G hard drive, installing the 16G, erasing it, and then moving TMP and TEMP directories to the 16G (this is more than a simple copy; there is an Advanced Setup in Windows 10 for this.

I'm having grief over the keyboard as well. Also the touch pad is kinda fussy about where you push to click. According to the manual I should be able to use the entire left half for a left click and the entire right half for a right click.
Bruce Guttman

Current stable: 770Z, 600X, T23, R40, R52, T43p, X41, R60, T60, T61, X61, X61T, X201T, T420; T400 (2768-EK9); W510 (4391-CTO), X220T (4296-2W5), T440 (20B6-00AUS), plus an Intellistation M 6219.
New Project: Making X220 work with WWAN.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:12 pm

OUT with the T440/p clickpad, IN with the T450 touchpad-with-buttons.
Check that you have a Lenovo trackpoint, and not one from HP/Dell/etc.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

zephxiii

#4 Post by zephxiii » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:45 pm

renowijoyo wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 am
so i just purchased a new but used t440 and still getting used to the new keyboard layout (from x201s).
some thoughts:
- keeps mis-pressing CAPS LOCK for 'A'. my fingers can't sense the edge of the new keyboard
- no dedicated volume button. takes two fingers to adjust volume. sometimes you need that mute button as quick as possible
- dislike the new touchpad and the absence of the ultranav clickers. the ultranav clicker served as a resting point for my thumb and prevent the thumb from brushing unintentionally with the new and large touchpad
- single slot RAM arrrgh
- 2 USB port?

but i've beginning to accept the flaws mainly due to the fact this unit is 99% like new and cheap as dirt (relatively).

however i found one thing that's nagging me. not sure if this is normal or not. the G & H button dont quite flush down when pressed with normal pressure. not the whole button but only towards the middle of the keyboard (where the trackpoint is). it's almost seems there's a component beneath that's preventing them from being pressed all the way down. it might not matter for most, but every time i hit those buttons, my fingers definitely sense something off, and that's enough to bug my typing experience.

can anyone confirm if this is normal?
1. The bump on the F button is for finger positioning.

2. For the volume buttons and Mute, FN+ESC is the function lock to lock whether u want F1-F12 etc. or the other controls. You can also set it in BIOS i believe how u want it to default.

3. Yes the touchpad is not ideal which is why some people have retrofitted the 450 series touchpad in.

4. Should still be able have up to 12gb

5. Dang only 2? T450s has 3. I recommend a docking station.

6. You might have some debris under those keys. Might try to remove it.