Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

t450s video driver crashes

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
banana21

t450s video driver crashes

#1 Post by banana21 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi all, wondering if anyone has any ideas. Every now and then, the display blacks out and comes back, and "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." shows up in the event log. Chrome usually says something about webgl hitting a snag.

I have a t450s with i5 5200U, an 8GB Crucial stick (and the 4GB soldered), a 480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD, 7265ac wifi, the 6-cell 72Wh battery, 1080p non-touch, fingerprint reader (disabled in BIOS), and Windows 10 pro x64. I added the RAM/SSD.

I've tried:
-Updating the video driver (from Windows Update, Lenovo's site, and Intel's site).
-Upping the video ram allotment from 256MB to 512MB in the BIOS.
-Disabling panel self-refresh, extended battery life for gaming, and display power saving tech in the Intel graphics panel.
-Increasing the timeout detection and recovery interval (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... in-windows)
-Updating the BIOS
-Reinstalling Windows 10
-Setting the SSD to never sleep, and setting a fixed pagefile size (have no idea why this would help, but people on forums claim it did for them?).
-I replaced the external battery at one point (for unrelated reasons, that suddenly lost half its capacity).

The machine passes all of the hardware tests in the BIOS with flying colors, and continues to have the video driver crash occasionally. The system is otherwise perfectly stable. I've seen this with 20 days of uptime; I've also seen it with barely 10 hours uptime. Seems like it'll usually do it 2-3 times within the hour, then not again for a few weeks. I've only ever seen this on battery. Usually I only have Chrome and Spotify open.

The laptop is unfortunately out of warranty, however when it was I had the motherboard replaced once because of some major visual artifacts (that showed up on a screencap). That solved that, but the occasional crashes persisted - and Lenovo claimed it was an Intel/Windows bug outside of their control. It's been a year since then, so are they really still putting out buggy drivers/software (which I wouldn't put past either of them unfortunately), or is my hardware just faulty?

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

Re: t450s video driver crashes

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:39 am

Have you tried another browser, such as Pale Moon?
Chrome is a notorious RAM-eater...
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

banana21

#3 Post by banana21 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:08 pm

I suppose I could. Thing is, while I tend to open a ton of tabs, I'm nowhere near running out of RAM (I was using 5/12GB last time I got a few crashes).

zephxiii

#4 Post by zephxiii » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Yes mine does that as well every once in a while.

banana21

#5 Post by banana21 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 am

Update: I installed the t470 precision touchpad driver (keeping in mind, the original one emulates a touchscreen for the gestures, this doesn't). The result is gestures are beautifully smooth now, however the crashes are unchanged. Currently sitting at 20 days of uptime, with 2 video driver crashes (15 and 16 days). In both cases, I was only using 3.5GB or 5GB/12GB, with only a few tabs open in Chrome.